No Exhaust Manifold gasket??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > No Exhaust Manifold gasket???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-06-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
JazAddict

No Exhaust Manifold gasket???

Hi,
95 Wrangler 4 cyl.

THe exhaust and intake manifolds are on the same side. The Jeep dealership sold me an intake manifold gasket and said the exhaust manifold "had no gasket".

I can't BELIEVE the the exhaust manifold bolts metal-to-metal with the head; is this right?

Autozone has a dual-use gasket that covers both teh intake and exhaust, but it leaks badly robbing me of power.

ANy suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

JazAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2004, 05:42 AM   #2
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think my 2.5 has a dual use gasket...I can't imagine they wouldn't have an exhaust manifold gasket. Maybe the one that the dealer has is also a dual use, just listed as intake.

**edit** guess not, after rereading your post...

Drwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazAddict
Hi,
95 Wrangler 4 cyl.

THe exhaust and intake manifolds are on the same side. The Jeep dealership sold me an intake manifold gasket and said the exhaust manifold "had no gasket".

I can't BELIEVE the the exhaust manifold bolts metal-to-metal with the head; is this right?

Autozone has a dual-use gasket that covers both teh intake and exhaust, but it leaks badly robbing me of power.

ANy suggestions?

Thanks
Bob
Unread 07-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
JazAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000
.... Maybe the one that the dealer has is also a dual use, just listed as intake.

**edit** guess not, after rereading your post...

Drwe

Nope; it covers the 4 holes of the intake only. I called the "other' Jeep parts dept this morning, and they said the same thing. This guy actually remembers questioning the metal-to-metal exhaust manifold also, but he said thats the way it is & it won't leak.

I got noting to lose as it leaked like a silve with the dual-use gasket from autozone....I don't know though; seems fishy.
Unread 07-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
aagongora

It's pretty darn weird....but I had to rebuild my 97 2.5l.....and It didn't have one, and doesn't now.....I don't think I torqued the bolts right because mine does leak alittle.....it's hotter than it used to be in the engine compartment.
....stuff being added weekly

Dumb *** Jeep Club #4
Beer ***** #2
Green Jeep Club #97
aagongora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
JazAddict

Well; I did it. I used the OEM intake gasket on the intake, and bolted the exhaust manifold right to the block.

Best the damn thing has run in months.

Its interesting (but not terribly shocking) that having the dual-coverage gasket from Autozone made the thing run worse than no gasket at all.

Thanks all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.