no brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > no brakes

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
muddy95cherokee

no brakes

I have a 95 cherokee. Recently my pedal just went to the floor upon brake application. There is no fluid loss, but yet the brakes don't work. My carpets aren't wet, and one caliper decided to grab and not let go. Since this happened I replaced master cylinder, and both front calipers, and bled the brakes. It didn't help one bit except now the calipers don't lock up.... They just don't do anything. Any thoughts on what it could be?

muddy95cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? Also, when you replace one, you should bleed all four corners, starting with the one in the back furthest away from the master cylinder first, then work your way to the front. Hope this helps!
rlongsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
muddy95cherokee

I didn't bench bleed the master, but I did bleed all four starting at the wheel farthest from master cylinder
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get straight fluid from each line?
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also, did you get a new master cylinder?
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
muddy95cherokee

Yes straight fluid from each line and its a reman master. Came with no resivior.had to use old res
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very odd. Is someone helping you bleed the brakes? You should hear the brakes working on the back, and should be able to see the calipers working. The only other thing I could suggest is visually check all the lines, and pull the rear drums and look for a leaky cylinder. Other than that, maybe on of the other fellas on her may have some suggestions..good luck,
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
obfdcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy95cherokee
I have a 95 cherokee. Recently my pedal just went to the floor upon brake application. There is no fluid loss, but yet the brakes don't work. My carpets aren't wet, and one caliper decided to grab and not let go. Since this happened I replaced master cylinder, and both front calipers, and bled the brakes. It didn't help one bit except now the calipers don't lock up.... They just don't do anything. Any thoughts on what it could be?
Does it have abs?
obfdcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
cherokeeman87

Did you check the brake boost.
cherokeeman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

make sure your calipers are on the right side. The bleeder valve should be above where the hose bolts on. I've made this mistake before, it was a bit embarrassing.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman12
make sure your calipers are on the right side. The bleeder valve should be above where the hose bolts on. I've made this mistake before, it was a bit embarrassing.
Yep...bleeders on top.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.