Nissan gt-r to tj engine swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitfalco

Nissan gt-r to tj engine swap

So my girlfriend destroyed her 2011 Nissan gtr om the track and i finally convinced her to sell it to me so im thinking of swapping it into my jeep reason whyis just to be different and i dont think anyone had done it before. So any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That would be a very cool swap, however I can say with certainty it has never been done on a Jeep. Keep it mind it took Nissan's entire team of engineers to shoe horn one into a Juke. I doubt it could be easily pulled off, and the amount of electronically controlled nonsense on that engine is probably just abysmal. Suspension and body feedback, traction control, steering input, and many other things are set up on that vehicle and tied directly into the engine cutting RPMs/Fuel based on more variables than you can count on your fingers and toes. That car is a part of the engine.

Also keep in mind no one is making adapters for that swap, no one probably has any idea how the wiring would interface with the Jeep, the transmission in the GT-R is paddle shifted...I just, ugh, you couldn't pay me to go through all of that while providing the parts for free.

My advice? Pick the GTR up for a steal, part what's good and left out, and use it to buy a LS crate motor, pay for the swap, and have some left ever. If the drivetrain is still good someone will pay big money for it.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1. Let's say you do this, what are you going to do drivetrain wise?

2. I imagine the electronics on this thing would be an absolute nightmare, verging on impossible.

3. What about the transmission? If you use the one that came with it how are you going to mate it to the t-case?

This just isn't a feasible swap without some serious money, time, and fab/machining skills. Fix up the GTR and go have fun with it on the track.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hope your an electrical engineer, with a background in mechanical engineering and a good car tuner/programmer to boot with trying that install...don't even get me started in trying to figure out how your going to mate that engine/trans up to a transfer case. That one custom part alone you could do a complete hemi swap I'm willing to bet!

-"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if you could even convince any shop to take on a project like that. The LS idea is much more practical and doable.

Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
post #6 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
HereticalWJ
2002 WJ 

1st post too eh. Pictures of said gtr before and after?
post #7 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Depending of if it is a new GTR or not, a quick google search says you can have an LS2/3/6 and trans, or a 5.7 Hemi and trans plus radiator and motor mounts for the price of a new model GTR drivetrain with money left over for incidentals and wiring.

edit: Also, unless the GF fishtailed it off the track and smacked the rear end on a barrier good luck on SOMETHING not being wrong with the drivetrain.

I just don't see how this is a good idea. Lets say you actually pull it off. Do you the diagnostic equipment worth thousands of dollars to actually keep this engine and trans running for the long term?

post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticalWJ View Post
1st post too eh. Pictures of said gtr before and after?
I think we need pictures of the girlfriend also.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yea, without pictures or something this could be a "story." With that being said, If someone spent the time to do this it be very interesting, I have been in a GT-R before and it is crazy what that car does.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Girlfriend was Tokyo drifting her GT-R in Japan with the Yakuza for pink slips. She was just about to beat the leader of the gang when Vin Diesel came flying out of a side street and hit his NOS running her off the road. The car was totaled and now the Yakuza are holding her hostage unless she can come up with a new GT-R or $100,000 to pay for one.

I mean, I really love my Girlfriend and everything so my question is can I run 37’s on a D30/35 with no lift?

post #11 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
My Girlfriend was Tokyo drifting her GT-R in Japan with the Yakuza for pink slips. She was just about to beat the leader of the gang when Vin Diesel came flying out of a side street and hit his NOS running her off the road. The car was totaled and now the Yakuza are holding her hostage unless she can come up with a new GT-R or $100,000 to pay for one.

I mean, I really love my Girlfriend and everything so my question is can I run 37ís on a D30/35 with no lift?

Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
post #12 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitfalco

Thanks for the thoughts guys yes i know the complete nightmare it would be but it can be done. The car is at my friends house gutted and the engine is running on the test stand already. Running horribly btw but hes some retarded computer/electrical genius and he is figuring out how to make it run by itself bypassing all the sensors that make it run the way it's supposed to and that is the first and most important step i think and if he can pull it off and make it run like a normal engine then i should worry about the trans and adapters
post #13 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
dangerz
2014 JK Wrangler 

Seems ridiculous and a waste, but also a ton of fun if pulled off. Good luck and post pics and a build thread :]

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #14 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So your friend is a retarted computer/electrical genius huh?
post #15 of 23 Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
So your friend is a retarted computer/electrical genius huh?
The world seems to be full of retarded geniuses these days.

-"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.