Newbie tired of stalling out at stoplights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Newbie tired of stalling out at stoplights

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
daput83
1978 CJ7 

Newbie tired of stalling out at stoplights

Good afternoon. I just purchased my first CJ7 (Finally), and am looking to restore her. Recently, I have encountered an issue where the jeep seems to stall out when idling too long such as at a stop light or drive through, and then will not turn back over for a while. The jeep starts and runs fine without issue until I come to a light. I can't seem to replicate the issue while idling in my driveway, and it only happens sometimes, but only at the most inopportunistic time, such as in the middle of rush hour traffic. The jeep does appear to have a rough idle however. I am not encountering any backfiring so I dont believe it to be a timing or spark plug issue and I do not hear any leaks from the vacuum lines. I thought it may be a sticky EGR valve, but upon inspection, it looks like the EGR valve has been removed. Could this be the reason? I have researched everything I can, but cant find the answer. Any thoughts?

within the past two weeks I have replaced the air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned the carb and choke with cleaner, as well as ran fuel system cleaner through. I have a amc304 with edelbrock intake and air filter and holley 4010 carb w/ manual choke.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

daput83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
sandman80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So your holley 4010 sounds like either the air/fuel needs adjustment, you have a choke or float sticking, or possibly as simple as idle adjustment. I'd have to hear it to tell you specifically which direction to start.

Last edited by sandman80; 05-26-2012 at 09:22 AM..
sandman80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.