New water pump and running cold p1281 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > New water pump and running cold p1281

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
crazyak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep LJ 4.0. So the water pump went out and now the temperature gauge is all over the place. Was consistent at 200-210 till the water pump was changed. Around town it's running around 160-165 now no matter how much driving if its just stop and go and will get around 190-200 after 20-30 minutes of highway driving.

It has the K&N filter which I know some say to go with a low temp thermostat of 160 so I was thinking someone may have changed it out before but then why would it have been consistent at the 200-210 range before. Unless the water pump wasn't working correctly before and now the new water pump with the possibility of a previously changed thermostat to 160 and now it's maintaining that temperature more consistently.

Other possible things I've considered we're the coolant temperature sensor, the fan clutch, or possibly a bad thermostat.

Any idea what I should start with???? Makes no sense to me. To many what if's.........

crazyak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Mishimoto

Verify your coolant temperatures to start with either a good quality gauge or IR temp gun. Then I'd go further into this
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
crazyak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

K. Thanks. I'll try that.
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
JTGary
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open and won't let the engine heat up. This makes the engine run in an open loop or warm up mode and will give crappy gas mileage. Replace your thermostat with a stock 190 degree one and you should be good.
JTGary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
crazyak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I hadn't got a chance to measure it but I think that's what it is. I was setting in line listening to it at the drive through and could clearly tell you couldn't hear it openi g and closing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.