new owner, old CJ w/ PTO issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > new owner, old CJ w/ PTO issue...

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
slashpine

new owner, old CJ w/ PTO issue...

Hi...hope someone here can maybe shed some light on the issue I have...

I recently came into possession of a 1970 CJ...

The folks I got the jeep from had put an older Willys F head 4 cyl in it...it has a Spicer 18 single lever transfer case (brake drum on rear drive shaft)...

When they got the jeep it had a front mounted winch...They said they sold the winch because "it didn't work"...however the (Ramsey)
PTO and drive shaft are still there...

Here is the issue...I removed the PTO and realize the main gear is domed shaped rather than having cogs for the PTO pinion to engage on...

so instead of looking something like this: http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/4961/4961-lg.jpg

it looks like this: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3365240...2272_114435082

I have no idea why the PTO was there if there was no gear but the pinion on the PTO shows some ware...

I have to think the man changed out the transfer case and just re-mounted the PTO because he did not have a cover plate???

The man has passed away and I can get no information what was changed/altered etc...

I can find what look like the right gear (with the cogs for the PTO) but the inner splines appear to be different than the picture of a similar gear without the cogs...

Thanks in advance for any insights or information...

slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.