New Muffler Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > New Muffler Question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-17-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
LNDSRK

New Muffler Question

What is recommended (personally)? I'm not sure if I want or can wait for a new Flowmaster to come in, the exaust is killing me. The place I go to does have a Vortex muffler that they can put on tonight.

[url=http://www.novajeepers.com]Northern Virginia Jeepers Association[/url]
LNDSRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
johny1i

Unless you are buying a nice aftermarket brand like Borla, Flowmaster, etc., I personally think all of those standard muffler-shop-type mufflers are probably equal, which is fine if you just need something inexpensive and functional. Sometimes they will have what they call a "turbo" muffler, or some other name which basically means low-restriction, and in the past I have gone with that because I don't mind a little more exhaust sound.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a few questions to add on to this post -

a muffler change looks easy like just bolting that thing on and go. or am i wrong?

is it better to get the whole cat-back setup than just buying a performance muffler and throwing it on the stock pipes? And if so whats so great about it?

which muffler growls the best? I've got a 4.0 straight6 that I know has an inner aggression(sp?) problem he needs to express.

Most cheap cat-backs i've seen run at least $150+ . I saw a Flowmaster for $50 does that mean its $100 bucks just for the pipes?? that doesn't seem right!

thats it, thanks for the help
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
johny1i

Okay, here are my experiences--in theory, changing the muffler is simply a bolt-on procedure. However, I don't fix what isn't broken, so by the time I have ever replaced a muffler, my exhaust system has been so corroded that it would be pure hell to try and separate the two pipes--that's where the ol' Sawzall comes in. A muffler shop can cut your old pipe and weld the new muffler to it easily, though. Unless you have a welder at home, you will probably have to use pipe clamps, which are good for aluminized steel because they don't burn the coating off like welding does, but they can be a real pain to get sealed completely if the two pipe sizes being joined do not have a fairly tight fit. I notice that you are close to the south, but I still don't know how much snow you get. The reason I say this is that I have been told that the front pipe takes a long time to rust out unless you have the salt factor. The heat at that point is intense enough to keep the condensation cooked out. Therefore, if your converter is still good, just work from that point back, and you'll have to be the judge on whether or not your pipes warrant replacing with the muffler (remember that exhaust systems wear out from the inside, so it's usually worse than it appears from outside). To make things even more complicated, there are better pipes (you mentioned Flowmaster wanting $100). I know that Walker uses fairly thin pipes compared to muffler shops I have used in the past, but then they are substantially less expensive also. I would find out the gauge of the pipes and then decide if the thicker gauge is worth the extra cost.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:27 PM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

Well-said johny

One thing, tho, even up here in Rhode Island where they salt even if it only rains, the front pipe rarely ever goes. I have yet to change a front pipe, if it is factory. Headers are a different story, of course, since it is not the same steel. The Factory uses a good grade of steel for the front pipes, so that with the high heat situation makes the pipes last quite a while. The rear pipes? Hell, by the time your muffler goes, your pipes are definitely shot. They don't heat up like the front one, and because of that, they acually will rot out faster than normal. High heat makes the front last, low heat makes the rears rot, LOL, there's more to it than that, but that is the end-result.

Change the pipes as well as the muffler, once you get into the "job" you'll see why.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #6
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have a Flo-Pro muffler -- it is a brand name but i had never heard of it, it is a welded muffler and it is supposed to out flow a flow-master- i noticed a instant powerincrease and a slight milage increase on my 2.5
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.