new engine?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > new engine??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
maddog89

new engine??

I have any 1994 Grand Cherokee with a I-6 4.0L engine. Does anybody know if I can install a newer or stronger engine without modifying other parts of the car???

maddog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Pretty much any engine swap other than one that was stock will require some slight modding. The amount you need to do really depends on what you are going to swap in. We really need to know what kind of motor you are looking at to really give you an idea what you would be looking at in terms of other mods.

I can tell you right now that you would possibly be looking at new motor mounts, various wiring issues, driveshaft lengths and on and on. Also adapters might be necessary to mate your new engine to your existing tranny, but again this is dependent on the motor you choose. You can really open up a can of worms with this one. But on the flip side this site has lots of good info, just sue the search function and you should get a good idea of what will be needed to put "X" motor into "X" Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
heywaitfourme

stroke it, stock motor, lots more power! Love mine, search in this forum, my name, hoseclamp, bnovack, atomicmoose, vestjam, etc.......
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just put a 97 4.0 (after I rebuilt it) into my 95ZJ 4.0. It was a direct swap with the exception of the idle pully next to the a/c compressor (they were about 1/4" different in size, although I think I could have used either one) and the temp sensor on the thermastat housing.

The valve covers were different cast aluminum vs stamped steel (no drama there).

The 93-97 4.0 blocks (maybe others) are almost identical as far as bolt on points. The accessories change, on some, but if you stay close in years, it should be pretty straight forward.

Just remember.... if you change motor years, make sure when you need parts that you choose the right year for the part. (ie, 95 valve cover gasket is different that a 97 valve gasket... as is a temp sensor on a 95 vs 97.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
tjstroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog89
I have any 1994 Grand Cherokee with a I-6 4.0L engine. Does anybody know if I can install a newer or stronger engine without modifying other parts of the car???

I just bought an engine from Golen Engines and replaced my stock I6 4.0 in a TJ with a 4.6 Stroker (260hp 295+ft/lbs torque) . That sucker humps!

It's a direct bolt-on and is built to be a daily driver with lots of attitude. They build to run standard stuff like Autolite 985 plugs ($1.50 each) and same computer and everything. You can gain performance by adding larger thottle body, intake, etc but you WILL notice a significant change with it and all your existing equipment. They provide awesome technical support and are very friendly too.

Give Chad a call and he'll tell you about it. Tell him Jim from KY said hello!
tjstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstroker
I just bought an engine from Golen Engines and replaced my stock I6 4.0 in a TJ with a 4.6 Stroker (260hp 295+ft/lbs torque) . That sucker humps!

It's a direct bolt-on and is built to be a daily driver with lots of attitude. They build to run standard stuff like Autolite 985 plugs ($1.50 each) and same computer and everything. You can gain performance by adding larger thottle body, intake, etc but you WILL notice a significant change with it and all your existing equipment. They provide awesome technical support and are very friendly too.

Give Chad a call and he'll tell you about it. Tell him Jim from KY said hello!
OK.... Dish.. How much $$$$$$$$ was the motor. Just curious.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
tjstroker

NOT CHEAP!

$3.5k
tjstroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.