new chevy 350- beef up my dana 35 or replace it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > new chevy 350- beef up my dana 35 or replace it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
thansenwo0o
1992 YJ Wrangler 

new chevy 350- beef up my dana 35 or replace it?

im throwing a chevy 350 in my YJ so i can go harder on the trails BUT i have little faith in the mighty stock and unlocked dana 35. im trying to decide:

A. welding a support bar w/diff cover + 35 spline locker with alloy shafts

B. replacing the the whole thing

ADVICE?!

thansenwo0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansenwo0o View Post
im throwing a chevy 350 in my YJ so i can go harder on the trails BUT i have little faith in the mighty stock and unlocked dana 35. im trying to decide:

A. welding a support bar w/diff cover + 35 spline locker with alloy shafts

B. replacing the the whole thing

ADVICE?!
You don't need a 350... you need to learn how to drive.

Drop the D35 and look for at least a D44 or Ford 8.8... what size tires you planning on?

My stock 4.0 with the right gears goes anywhere I need it to. Gearing is where it's at... horsepower will just break stuff faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
thansenwo0o
1992 YJ Wrangler 

haha yeah yeah ive gotten that before.

we have one laying arround the shop staring at me so... daydreams

right now ive got an old rattling 2.5 and every time someone hops in i can feel the weight. it simply isn't doin it for me.(mainly on the street anyways) i figure since im going to swap it i mite as well go all the way. a buddy also has a 305 with low miles.

i plan on having 33 or 35x12.5 tires to answer your question
thansenwo0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansenwo0o View Post
haha yeah yeah ive gotten that before.

we have one laying arround the shop staring at me so... daydreams

right now ive got an old rattling 2.5 and every time someone hops in i can feel the weight. it simply isn't doin it for me.(mainly on the street anyways) i figure since im going to swap it i mite as well go all the way. a buddy also has a 305 with low miles.

i plan on having 33 or 35x12.5 tires to answer your question
A Ford 8.8 should be plenty, just don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. The D35 in stock form has a hard enough time staying together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

I agree go with the 8.8 such an easy swap! my buddy did one into his 94 yj and it takes an *** kickin, and he has had 0 problems. Try to find one out of an exploder that had disc brakes.
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
thafunkybuddha
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what about the front end? i dont hear many people talk about swapping the front end.
thafunkybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
billy_butler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am well aware of the D35 being a turd. I just got a sweet deal on a SBC YJ it still has the 35 in it. I am living in sicily at the moment and dont really have the means to get a hold of a JY 8.8 or any other rear-end for that matter. I plan on just leaving it open, getting some alloy shafts for it and crossing my fingers. All the threads I can find are just people saying the 35 is gonna break and they suck and blah, blah, blah. None of them are running a SBC and half of them probably have not broke a 35. My advice is carry some spare shafts and spider gears and go have fun. If it breaks, it breaks. I am forced to push mine to the limits with my situation.

as for the D30, your front end might last a little longer with the high pinion design. however your U joints and housing will be weak points (because the housing is the vacuum disconnect). I would just wheel em both and start saving your money, eventually you will need it for axles. FRONT and REAR.

Like I said before, I really dont have the means to go with anything else so I will upgrade shafts and take it easy on the skinny pedal until I get back to the states.
billy_butler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
chevy v8 swap , dana 35 axel swap , dana 35 super kit , dana 35 upgrade , rear axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.