Never seen a hub set up like this..help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Never seen a hub set up like this..help?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
DropeTine99
1981 CJ7 

Never seen a hub set up like this..help?

I need some help from someone that has hopefully seen a hub assembly like this. It's the passenger side rear locking hub.

image-1122522478.jpg

I took the keeper ring off and thought the rest should just slid off? I'm confused!

Looking for rebuilt T-5 transmission.
DropeTine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

passenger REAR?
What vehicle is this that you can disco the rear wheels?

But it does look like you beat the snot out of the brake shoe on the left of the picture.

Quadra blowup doesn't show anything like it either
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...mc-20-rear.php
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Should be a dbl scallop ring in there that has to come out and then slide the locking mechs out, if thats a rear though the axle should slide out after it

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
DropeTine99
1981 CJ7 

Its a 81 CJ7. And I don't see a ring of any kind. all I could take out was the keeper ring. I'm thinking some kind of puller?

Unread 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What does this "keeper ring" you refer to look like and where did it come out of. Be specific. Your terminology may be different than what others use.

If its anything like the old front D44 hubs, there is a larger ring that goes into a groove on the inside of the hub that holds the lockout assembly in. There is also another snap ring that goes on the stub shaft but I wouldn't think you have one of those.

After these two retaining rings are pulled, I slide two of the screws into the lockout assembly and wiggle it out.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
DropeTine99
1981 CJ7 

I got it all taken apart, now i'm going to replace the seals and put it back together. BTW it's a Warn Full Floating axle/hub set up. There was a snap ring on the end of the axle shaft and a larger ring like you said on the inside of the hub holding everything together.

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still thrown by the axle disconnects on the rear. Was this a drag behind vehicle at one point? I can't think of another reason to introduce fail points to a rear axle.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
DropeTine99
1981 CJ7 

Yeah i got the axles off a jeep that use to be pulled all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.