Needing new engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Needing new engine

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
familyofjeeps

Needing new engine

Well....... this bums me out.... in Dec of 08 when I returned home from all my training for the Army Reserves I purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ (with 100k had an evap leak, so i picked the jeep up for $5k) so i could roll with my dad and my uncle (who both have XJs) and i put a 3.5"lift (shackle rear w/ add-a-leaf) 31x10.5s A/Ts, Grille Guard, Rear bumper with Swing away tire carrier, and roof rack......... well it now has just turned over 143k and i have a loud Ticking noise, after an hour with my mechanic i found out indeed it is a ROD..... and what realy "erks" me is that there are no local mechanics that are willing to put new rods in it....... so i decided to put a new engine in it...... My uncle picked up an engine for 2300 and had an 5yr/100k warranty but has no clue what website he purchased it from..... SO WHAT IM ASKING is if anyone knows of a website that has better than stock 4.Os for 2300?????? or around that price range.......

Thanks Bummed Yell'r XJ

familyofjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Why not just put in one that has a good warranty?
5yr 100k is pretty good warranty for a $2300 engine.
Rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Rickyb
1995 ZJ 

Also
ATK Replacement Jeep Engines and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
Rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

So ask around the local hot rod/4WD community and find someone willing to fix it.
Are you certain its not a lifter?
A bad rod won't just tick it will sound like a hammer. I would say pull the bottom end apart, check the rod bearings and main bearings, along with the crank.
The only reason that the rod, itself, would be bad would be if you somehow spun a bearing or maybe hydro-locked it and bent the rod. If the crank is still good, (it should be if it really only ticks, as opposed to thumps or bangs) you might be able to get away with replacing the bearings, gaskets and seals (a Saturday project).

It sounds like you need a better mechanic... Rod and main bearings are not a terribly big deal, even if the crank needs replacing/regrinding.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , problems , purchasing , rod , trouble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.