Need your opinion on a ford 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need your opinion on a ford 9

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Cheeser
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need your opinion on a ford 9

I can pick up a ford 9 from a buddy for 100 bucks. I don't really know too much about ford axles. He brought it by the house today for me to look at, its in pieces. I want to get some opinions on what its worth, or if it would even be worth the trouble to to rebuild.

Its low pinion, trussed and has a brand new ring and pinion 5.33. Its set up for disk brakes. The 3rd is made by Strange. The axle shafts are aftermarket but one would need to be replaced, the splines are a little twisted.

The housing needs to be cleaned up. I would need to basically redo all the bearings and seals. It needs new discs and rotors. Basically it would be a complete overhaul.

What do yall think? is it worth 100 bucks? Is it even worth the trouble?

Thanks yall .

Cheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

It could be worth it in the end. some people spend more than that on a lesser sized salvage axle and then spend more simply replacing stock pieces. You will still have a stranger center section, not that its needed, and alloy shafts. You might check to see what axles they are because they might be warranty parts, but you might need a receipt too.

Things you should consider though, will the axle fit your app manily width and bolt pattern., you will have to re-gear you front or the 9" to match, you will need to fab the axle to your app, you will probably need a new driveshaft. I would assume this 9" has a spool or some type of locker, this could be a bonus or you will need to buy something different. If the bolt pattern is differnt or the axles are drilled for multi patterns, you might be ok if you have to order new axles, or you will need adpaters or wheels.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Its worth it in parts
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
brokeagin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wish it was closer. I would buy it just for resale...
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Cheeser
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I was guessing that even if i didn't end up putting it on, I could probably at least get my 100 bucks back. I may make a project out of it and build it up and get some dece beef under the jeep. Again, thanks
Cheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

definitely worth more than 100
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For sure worth it. Good axle and a huge aftermarket for them. That Strange center sectio is easily worth at least double the buy in cost and a nice piece to boot. Your going to spend the money to go through a junkyard axle anyway, so why not start with something tahts already got some goodies with it for the same or cheaper. Since the splines are twisted, when you replace the shafts you cane get them custom made with the correct bolt pattern for your wheels if they are differant.
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.