Need some help setting up gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need some help setting up gears

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Need some help setting up gears

Hey guys, regearing a hp30 (from a 91xj, non-disco), using g2 4.56's and install kit.

I've gotten the pattern this far. I had it same heel-toe, but farther out on the teeth, and backlash was good @ .006". All the charts I'm reading say to decrease backlast with this pattern. I tried a few variations of pinion & carrier shim adjustments with no luck, so I tried what the book says (FSM) and decreased backlash.
This pushed the pattern into the teeth a bit more, but still looks like it still needs less backlash (pinion look ok to me), but I"m sitting at .002" backlash which I know isn't acceptable.

Drive patterns:

Coast:

I've measured backlast at a few places and its within tolerances, and set the pinion preload to what I read is ok (@ 14in/lb). I'm at a loss here right now, coast side doesn't look horrible, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the drive side at all.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Unread 05-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Don't be too concerned with your pinion preload at this point in time. you need to bring the pinion closer to the ring gear by adding shims under the large pinion bearing race. then get you backlash in spec and run another pattern. first socks, then shoes!
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I appreciate the input BSInc!

Played around tonight some, pulled the pinion in .020 so specs for first set of pics are:
pinion .065
rgs .035
bl .003 (too tight)

Then
Moved ring away from pinion .015 (rgs shims total: .020)
Backlash .014

And then moved it back into the pinion .005 (rgs shims total: .025)
Backlash .012
I put a little neverseize on the drive side, heard it helps see the pattern, didn't really make a difference IMO

The last attempt definitely is better than my first post, but still not too good. I read the yukon gear install guide and I think I may be focusing too much on getting the pattern centered heel-toe rather than face-flank. After reading through that (I read the guide on pirate before and it lead me to believe get it centered as possible on the tooth H-t & f-f) I think tomorrow after work I'll push the pinion a bit deeper and give it a few goes and see what happens.

I'll also try to get some better shots (please excuse the ****ty cell pics, only camera I have), I'll see if I can borrow a camera from work tomorrow to use. And as far as the marking compound lol... I'll try to clean it up before I put even more on tomorrow.
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Put another .015 worth of shims under the pinion tonight and its starting to look like it should.

Pinion .080
RGS .028
bl great

Think I'll throw another .003-.005 under the pinion race, adjust BL and see how it looks tomorrow night. Finally getting somewhere with it though! Woo
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

YUP! it's getting better. once you have your pattern in a "happy place" you can fine tune your backlash. worry about pinion preload and carrier preload at the end.
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Played around some more tonight, I think the last pattern has the pinion too deep. I'm saying that because of the bold line at the flank side of the pattern. Now I have a good idea on what does what, but don't really have a good idea of which pattern is best out of the ones I have here. Can someone give me a pointer in the right direction now of which pattern I should try and fine tune? Thanks!

All patterns below had preload and BL within tolerance/range

Pinion .085
RGS .023

Pinion .090
RGS .023
BL Tight but within spec

Pinion .090
RGS .020

Pinion .095
RGS .010

Unread 06-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Are these used gears by chance? Just checking.

I think the .085 pinion shim ones look just slightly too deep. and again the .080 were a little shallow. try a shim pack in between there. Getting good at pulling it all apart by now I'm sure!
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

New gears, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it another go tonight!
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
4x4WW
1974 CJ5 

I need some help !
4x4WW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4WW View Post
I need some help !
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.