Need some Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need some Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
zangetsubaby
2003 KJ Liberty 

Need some Help

Financed an '03 Jeep Liberty Sport about 3 years ago. I still owe about $3000 on the vehicle and yet I'm experiencing engine failure. Took it back to the dealer and I was quoted $7400 (before taxes) for repairs on the following: Engine replacement, catalytic converter replacement, muffler replacement, Oxygen sensor replacement, serpentine belt replacement, and a coolant overflow tank replacement; plus the cost of a "used" engine (I've heard this can cost between $1500 and $4000). Like I said I still owe $3000 on the vehicle... am I better off paying for all these repairs? Or would it be better for me to try to trade in my vehicle as-is? Or maybe should I try and pay it off and part out the vehicle? Please I could use some help here.

zangetsubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Not exactly a technical question but it sounds like you have a pretty difficult decision to make. You might try to get an idea on what you get out of it if you traded or sold "as is" of course. Since you are still financing you probably have good insurance, so you might check with them to see if they might cover the repairs, depending on what happened to the engine. If you drove into deep water on a flooded road or something your insurance might help you. I have even seen some policies cover unexplained failures too. You would probably have known if you have one or not but did you happen to buy an extended warranty when you financed?

Spending that kind of money on a vehicle like that would seem like a waste to most people but its definitely not worth much when its broken either. If you knew you were going to keep it for a long time then it might be worth fixing it. Your options could be trying another repair shop thats cheaper, most independant shops have lower labor rates then dealers and aftermarket parts (catalytic convertor) can be much cheaper than dealer parts.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.