need power.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > need power..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-21-2002, 03:29 PM   #1
StudTJ

need power..

I need some advice. I want to pt 31X10.5 tires on my 2.5L TJ, but i dont want to lose too much power. Can anyone suggest some good ways to increase my power, without becomming too expensive?

Unread 01-21-2002, 04:59 PM   #2
eltj

You can regear after the tires but its not that cheap to do but to get a signifagant amount of power out of the 2.5 nothing is going to be cheap.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #3
4wheel4fun

My advice to you: Before spending money, think about what you want from your jeep. How much off road? What type of off road conditions? Is this an everyday driver? How much freeway? Hills? Do you plan on lifting the jeep? If all you want is bigger tires without spending money on gears/performance mods, etc...go with a less aggressive tread. Everyone has a different idea about what's expensive, so without knowing your budget, it's hard to identify mods.
4wheel4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
StudTJ

Well..heres my situation. Im a highshool kid and this is my first Jeep. Obviously, i dont have too much money, and i know im not gonna be able to do too much with it, and thats ok, because i hope ill own many more Jeeps in the future. The only reason i bought the 2.5L and not the 4.0, is because i couldnt pass up the deal i got on it. I do, however, plan on doing a few things to make it a little more enjoyable off-road, because i do go everyonce in a while with some friends that also have Jeeps. So I planned on getig some descent tires, maybe getting some quick disconncets, and i thought abou lifting it, but then thier is the money factor again. So anyway, I am eveyday driver, and im not gonna do too much highway driving, and occaional offroading on the weekends. So since im going to go with the bigger tires, i know i will lose some power. With that all said, i know it was alot, do u have any sugesstions now???? thanks
Unread 01-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #5
Billy Badass

Well I have had the 4-banger TJ and the 4.0, and lifted and regeared both of them.There are not alot of things that you can do to improve the power of the 2.5. Here the best way to do it in my eyes. Start to shop around for a 4.0. Sometimes you can pick one up used. But your limited by the 2.5 you will never be able to do a whole lot to it, you just don't have the power bud. Sell it and pick up a four liter. You can proible find one for as about as much as youcan sell yours 4. That's what i did the only other option is to do a motor conversion. They just don't ave theparts for the 2.5. That's my advice, I know how easy it is to get attached to a vehicle, i did the same thing, but what do you want limitations or modifications. It all depends on how you want to enjoy the jeep. That's just my thoughts, and stay away from the 97 tj the rearends were messed up from the factory.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 11:30 PM   #6
Billy Badass

You should have no problem with running 31's with your stock gearing, you already have fairly deep gears.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2002, 12:58 PM   #7
hjeepxj

actually, you can do a fair amount to a 2.5, you can add a tbi spacer, make custom cold air with a k&n, header, exhaust, highflow cat, bored tb, ported heads, bigger pistons, better cam, roller rockers(?) but starting at the heads, you start spending a fair amount of cash, you could regear to 4.10's

hjeepxj0.tripod.com

"Im okay, im alright, just might get a little high tonight, im okay, im alright, CARRY ON!"

-Pat Green
hjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.