Need help with overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need help with overheating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

There just arent that many components in the cooling system, if you think about it. Sit down and run them through your mind, one at a time. Then go for the most logical one.....then the next, etc. Belt slipping. ( the alternator would not be charging well, if that were the case), thermostat..( maybe...new or not)....clogged radiator...( possibly, so to eliminate it, try flushing it again), temp sensor...( cheap fix)...waterpump...( PITA to swap, but not expensive). I've had to swap each one of those components over the years at one time or another on mine. Good luck !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
pedal_damn_it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jack up the front of the jeep as high as you can. pull the rad cap (cool of course) and burp the system again. you have an air pocket somewhere. Same thing happened to my jeep when there was air in the system. Sometimes it will not work itself out. Try that, run it for a bit (ie 15 or 20), pump the hoses to try and help it. but jacking the front end up will help. Write back when you fix it.
pedal_damn_it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
GEaviation
2000 TJ Wrangler 

when i swapped in my 4.0 i put on a new water pump, 185 thermostat, and radiator and in 90 deg weather i never see the temp go over 190. and i drive my jeep pretty hard. its a 5spd with 33in mud tires and 4:10 gears. i would say your water pump is not moving enough coolant. again just my opinion
GEaviation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
DPYE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Up date on overheating

Just a follow up on the overheating problem. Those who said it was the radiator were absolutely correct. I put an oem radiator in my 2004 tj from Radiator. com and had it installed locally with a lifetime warranty{the jeeps life not mine}and is working like a new one. So any bad overheating or heat soak going on change the radiator if everything else is fairly new.
DPYE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
FirstJeep05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hot stick shift

i recently got an manual 05 jeep wrangler and i live in houston texas. iv noticed that after a couple minutes of driving the area around the base of the stick shift and sometimes even the stick shift is hot i dont know if that means something is wrong or if i need to put vents sommewhere i dont know much about jeeps yet and i was wondering for some info about if this is a common event please help thanks!
FirstJeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.