Need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need help

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
aww618

Need help

I will try to keep this as short as possable but want you to have all the info.

I bought a 2002 grand cherokee limited 4.7 8 months ago. first day i had it the cam shaft broke in half. the used car dealer i bought it from changed out the head and checked the other side as well. the engine has 170,000 on it.

fast forward to now. The jeep was overheating. Thermistate was good i change water pump. fixed. one week latter overheating again and check engine light came on. #7 cylinder miss fire. I swapped coil packs and no change. pulled spark plug and it was a little wet with coolant (only #7 was wet). Also i noticed the water pump lost prime and I had to bleed it again. when I bled it i noticed water coming from tail pipe, but no more over heating, just the miss fire. I am thinking it is head gasket. The engine was just put together by a garage just 10,000 miles ago. I watched the guy inspect the heads for warping and blended the head to make sure it was flat.

any other ideas to try before I tare this car apart. I dont want to put that much work in for somthing that could be very small and i'm just missing it.

aww618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
aww618

And i see no leaks coming from anywhere.

Thanks for your help
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Two words - Compression Test. But I think you may already know. Kinda gave it away with the wet plug and coolant in the exhaust part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aww618 View Post

The engine was just put together by a garage just 10,000 miles ago. I watched the guy inspect the heads for warping and blended the head to make sure it was flat.
This part I have issue with. What do you mean "blend". Although a good mechanic can tell if it is warped you do not "blend" a head surface. If it is warped it needs to be machined at a proper shop to be made "true" again.

If this "garage" did what your statement implies you need to make no contact and avoid them like the plague.

Oh, if everything checks ok, change that plug and the oil asap.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
aww618

sorry to many cocktails. machined is the word. thanks
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
aww618

I know the dangers of building up pressure and cracking somthing. But it is my only ride. And I need to get to work. Any guesses on if I could wait until next weekend to change the gaskets.

And yes it was a shady garage
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it is losing coolant into a cylinder you really don't want to drive it until it is repaired. Do a compression test and you'll have a good indication. It wouldn't hurt to pressure test the cooling system, too. If there is coolant actually leaking into a cylinder it will not take very long to do more harm. The coolant will keep the oil from doing it job as a lubricant which can lead to cylinder/ring/piston damage plus that added moisture content can also lead to bearing damage. Make sure what is happening. If you don't feel comfortable diagnosing it have a reputable shop look at it. If you are mechanically inclined a top end gasket set replacement is not a hard job, just time consuming. If you do decide to tackle it, make sure to have the head inspected and machine by a reputable shop if needed.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
aww618

Decided to take to garage to verify head gasket. I will do the work. If it is I will be on here to make sure I don't screw up the timing when I pull the chain off.

Thanks for your help
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
aww618

so first time messing with timing chain. How to I set timing after I change the head?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.