need a battery tip.please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > need a battery tip.please.

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
hildahl

need a battery tip.please.

My 1988 jeep XJ's batterie keeps dying. The batterie is good and the alternator is good. Im thinking maybe a short or something. Doesn't happen all the time just once in a while. Any ideas where to look?

hildahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

first thing to check is current draw with key off.. lift the posi lug, measure with a meter to see if there is any current being drawn from your battery to your frame ground.. if so, pull one fuse at a time to see which circuit is shorted or still on.. if your battery is known to be good, then something is staying on drawing from the battery..
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at your cables and see if there isn't corrosion on them inside the insulation or the plastic coating. If there is any sign it will cause high resistance and can cause starting problems. Battery and tray should also be cleaned with a brush and clean water.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.