Need Advice with Slave Cylinder Problems on my YJ
I've got an 87 6 cyl, YJ. My clutch hydraulic system was giving me problems so I changed the master cylinder and it did not resolve despite there not being a leak from it or the line down to the bell housing. The slave cylinder was next to change so I bought a new one from Autozone to replace it. I then decided since it was in the bell housing I didn't want to borrow a jack to hold up the drive train while I removed the cross member to take it apart and fix it so I took it to a shop. They replaced it and after driving for 2 days the problem resurfaced where the clutch got spongy and I couldn't get out of or into gear because the plate wasn't disengaging. I took it back and they said it was a bad part. I got Autozone to replace the part and pay the labor to replace it. 2 days later the problem was back again. Back to the shop to be told the 2nd new slave from Autozone was bad too. Amazingly Autozone picked up the labor again and this time I bought the clutch kit and had the whole clutch kit done including the slave for a small amount more than what Autozone had paid. I also had my flywheel milled. I got it back and guess what; 2 days later the same problem. They looked at it again and said it was a "nicked O-ring." They replaced it and 2 days later my problem was right back. I argued with the shop for my money back and the owner convinced me to let them take a look at it again saying he'd pay for a new line as that's the only thing it could be at this point. He also said that he'd put in a line that was spec and not aftermarket. He has now called me saying that they put it in and everything is fine until you move the line a little and then it starts to leak. He said they researched this and found that on the 87 this happens frequently and that they only fix they've found is to change to a 94' TJ's bell housing and put an external slave cylinder on it. I'm obviously suspicious at this point and wanted a second opinion since this seems like a lot to fix a problem like this. He hasn't said it would cost me anything yet and I don't know if he's going to pick up the cost or not but any insight into this insane situation would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd just take it to another shop but I don't want to be out all the money I already paid.