Need advice - Blown SR4 replacement options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Need advice - Blown SR4 replacement options

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
mechetti
1980 CJ7 

Need advice - Blown SR4 replacement options

I have a 1980 CJ with an AMC 360 V8 and Dana 300, but had the original SR4 transmission from when it was a 6 cylinder. I blew the transmission and have been researching replacement options for the last week. It sounds like there are no easy bolt in upgrades and that I am going to need to modify drivelines and purchase adaptors to upgrade the transmission for the HP and running.

I drive this Jeep mostly on the street, so I don't need a compound low and would prefer a transmission that shifts easy. I looked into a T-176, but with a rebuild, driveline modifications, adaptors, etc, it looks like I will be pushing $2k. If that is the case, I may just want to go all out and put in a TH400. Has anyone done this before? If so, how difficult of a conversion is this?

img_1207.jpg  

Last edited by mechetti; 06-02-2012 at 08:23 PM..
mechetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.