My rear end is making funny noises. Need help figuring out why. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > My rear end is making funny noises. Need help figuring out why.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My rear end is making funny noises. Need help figuring out why.

So here is the story.
I installed a used S35 kit with a Detroit locker it drove nice and quiet. No gear whine at all. A few months later wear showed up in the locker cogs as ratcheting while driving forward.

When it was installed I used all new bearings on the locker and my pinion with a new crush sleeve.

It made zero noise when I put it up on the lift to tear it apart.

My Fix:

-Took locker out, set all of the parts on my cart the same way they came out.
-Took the locker guts out flipped them over and put it back together
The three center cogs in the picture (ignore the rest, not the same as my locker)

(So when driving forward I would be using the cogs that were originally used in reverse). The locker operation is 100% normal, except it ratchets when I decelerate, which I expected to happen. I'll replace those eventually.
-I put it all back together the same way that it came apart (the orientation of the locker case was not affected by my fix, just the internals).

Immediately after I put it back together I have pretty intense gear whine that gets worse while cornering.

I have pulled it back apart and the mesh pattern seems the same, even swapped the shims around just in case I messed those up and no change.
I'm 100% sure the bearing caps are correct.
I've been back inside of it several times since trying to figure it out and I can't.

The noise ONLY happens under load. If I'm coasting in neutral at any speed it's nearly silent.

What in the world could have gone wrong? I'm tired of the nose and I have to open it up to replace a bent shaft soon anyway. Just want it to be quiet!

Unread 08-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

sounds like a depth issue

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any idea what could have caused it?
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

solve it with a Dana 44!
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

At some point the shims(cast iron ones) got mixed up. Or the bearing caps or bearing cups. The ring gear needs what is called backlash. A tiny amount of play between it and the pinion. The carrier needs to be installed in the axle housing with preload to keep it from expanding or wobbling in the housing. One or more of these setups is not correct any more causing your noise. Without being there no one can tell whats wrong only make educated guesses.
I believe there are Dana manual available at the top of one of these sections. Study them and it will help you understand how each of these help to make a quiet differential.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

The pinion depth is wrong. Did you have the depth setting ? Do you have the tool for it to check what the height was ?
Usually the scenario you have is the pin is running shallow.

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
At some point the shims(cast iron ones) got mixed up. Or the bearing caps or bearing cups.
I know all of this is correct. I swapped the shims in one of my tests just to make sure, they are so close in size I didn't see it making a difference anyway. (I did put them back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
The ring gear needs what is called backlash. A tiny amount of play between it and the pinion. The carrier needs to be installed in the axle housing with preload to keep it from expanding or wobbling in the housing. One or more of these setups is not correct any more causing your noise. Without being there no one can tell whats wrong only make educated guesses.
I believe there are Dana manual available at the top of one of these sections. Study them and it will help you understand how each of these help to make a quiet differential.

Ron
Ok then. Preload, that might be what I did wrong. I knew you were supposed to preload the pinion, but not the carrier. Took 4 years of asking the question to get an answer, but I finally got it. Now I know where to look for more information.
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so carrier preload is done with the shims? So Basically I need to re-shim the carrier. For whatever reason the shims are no longer the right size. I know zero about differentials so I'm just trying to figure all this out. I did notice it felt like there was a good amount of end play. But since I didn't change the shims I assumed they were ok.
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Carrier and pinion both need preload.

At this point you should get professional help.

A shim at .0015 is a world of difference in differential set up.

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been asking professionals for years and nobody will give me a straight answer. For some reason people are afraid of lockers and non stock axle shafts.
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Then they aren't professionals and you need to find one. You'll find lots of "professional" people that haven't a clue how it really is, unfortunately you're to far for me to help, you definitely have a depth issue and carrier preload issue.

]=Supershafts=[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.