My 99 XJ is getting terrible gas mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > My 99 XJ is getting terrible gas mileage

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How about a Hesco 62mm TB with Hesco 62mm spacer?

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Im a F&B user when it comes to TB's, but the hesco tb would help, not sure how the spacer would really effect anything in f.i. i never seen a diff on my jeep when adding plates for other issues beneath my f&b

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My gas mileage at 60 mph has improved from 16 mpg to 21 mpg. I think that's good for 30 x 9.5 R15 tires that are on the low end of acceptable street pressure.

New plugs, wires, cap and rotor didn't make much difference.

My latest tweaks were motorvac (similar idea as Seafoam), a new oxygen sensor, and a 205F thermostat. Since all 3 of those things were done at same time, I don't know how much gas mileage increase came from each mod.

I do know that on an LJ in the past I had a 205F stat put in and gained approx 2.5 mpg. So I assume that my XJ gained around 2.5 mpg from the 205F stat.

I think the other 2.5 mpg improvement is from the motorvac, the oxygen sensor, or both. Not sure.

Prior to replacing the oxygen sensor, it was tested by a Napa car care center. They told me the oxygen sensor was fine, but I insisted they replace it

Power at mid rpm has improved some too.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tomorrow my cousin and I will be installing a high flow cold air intake.

I hope to gain another 2 mpg from that.
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My cousin installed an AFE "Cold" (cooler) Air Intake with dry filter in my XJ today.

I immediately noticed it idles a little faster and smoother. Is slightly faster idle normal with a high flow air intake?

I noticed better torque at low rpm, and better torque and power at mid rpm. I didn't test high rpm.

I have not retested gas mileage yet, but I expect some improvement.

Very happy with AFE "Cold Air Intake. I'm glade I chose their dry filter intead of their oiled filter.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

The stat and o2 definitely helped, the afe is good for cooler air, not sure you'll see 2mpg from that, maybe some percentage of but i have never seen huge improvements there

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildriver-3 View Post
The stat and o2 definitely helped, the afe is good for cooler air, not sure you'll see 2mpg from that, maybe some percentage of but i have never seen huge improvements there
I got 1 more mpg from the AFE, and I also got better power for hills. So it's good.

The AFE flows really free. It even starts easier and idles smoother! Noticeably more mid rpm power on hills. Haven't tried high rpm.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.