My '89 XJ turns over but will not start. Replaced battery and Coil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > My '89 XJ turns over but will not start. Replaced battery and Coil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
TheGrimJeeper
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My '89 XJ turns over but will not start. Replaced battery and Coil

So, my '89 XJ 4wd 4.0l turns over, but I am not getting a spark from my coil, even though I just purchased one brand new. I also replaced my battery with a new one. My dist. cap is clean and was just replaced before winter....I'm running out of ideas and can't find anything helpful when I search JF...Someone please help me!

TheGrimJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
TheGrimJeeper
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced my coil module as well now because it appeared burnt...and still nothing. Relays are fine.
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

check the crankshaft positioning sensor, thats usually the culprit of a no spark/no start condition.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
ajmorell

x2 on the crank position sensor.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
TheGrimJeeper
1989 XJ Cherokee 

okay...i located the cps...unplugged it, plugged it back in and nothing...is there a more efficient way of testing this?
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
ajmorell

That's not going to test it. If it is bad unplugging and plugging it back in won't do anything. It MUST be in working order to run right and will not run without it. IIRC I think you can test the voltage or amperage but I don't remember or know off hand what those numbers should be.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
89 xj , no spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.