My 4.7L powertech seized up? running on low oil. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > My 4.7L powertech seized up? running on low oil.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
kinggucci
1999 WJ 

My 4.7L powertech seized up? running on low oil.

Whenever I try to start the jeep all I hear is a click from the starter. I tried to move the crank by hand but it wont move. This happened at a stop light, the car suddenly turned off by itself, no loud noise, no shaking, nothing happened. the engined just turned off and wouldnt start back up again.

I checked it for oil and there was no oil in there according to the dip stick. The car did overheat a week before this happened so idk if that was the cause of this.

What might be the problem?
Do I need a new engine?
Can I fix this myself?

kinggucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.7 & 3.7 are Chrysler miracle engines. If the get hot the have tenancies to blow head gaskets easily. Usually when they get hot they drop valves. We get 1 a month at our shop.
Your description makes me think its melted. Rebuild or replace.
What year make and model?
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
kinggucci
1999 WJ 

its a 1999 grand cherokee. Is it easy to replace the head? I think it dropped a valve as well.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If it dropped a valve the engine needs to come out and rebuilt. The piston will be damaged. Aluminum sux sorry.
Its relatively easy to pull the heads to look. Pull the oil pan too look in there
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
kinggucci
1999 WJ 

isnt there a pipe that goes under the oil pan? Is the pipe easy to remove?
Im sure that once I remove the pipe the rest is easy to remove.(oil pan, pistons.

How much do you guys charge at your shop to rebuild this kind of engine?
Im in the chicago area.
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Daytona beach Florida here avg rebuild runs $1250 this week lol. Parts prices change then our price does too. This is as long as none if the major components are trashed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.