My 258 Won't Start.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > My 258 Won't Start....

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-06-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
Dustin Maschino

My 258 Won't Start....

I have an '83 258 I-6 and it wont start.
It's gettin fuel, so it's just not gettin a spark. I put in new spark plugs and a new coil, and the distributor cap is only 2 years old, if that. I could really use someone's help if they know where the problem might be...

Dustin Maschino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
MuddyCJ5

Check to see if the coil is getting the signal from the electronic ignigtion or the points. Use an electrical tester, ground one end, put the other (the pointed end) on the neg (-) post of the coil. If the light flashes off and on as you crank the motor, it means the points and or electronic ignition is working. If the light stays on or doesn't flash at all the problem is most likely inside the distributor. This might help narrow the problem down. also check to see that you have power to the positive side of the coil (+), when the key is in the run posistion. Good luck, Dan
MuddyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 03:04 AM   #3
MuddyCJ5

Check to see if the coil is getting the signal from the electronic ignigtion or the points. Use an electrical tester, ground one end, put the other (the pointed end) on the neg (-) post of the coil. If the light flashes off and on as you crank the motor, it means the points and or electronic ignition is working. If the light stays on or doesn't flash at all the problem is most likely inside the distributor. This might help narrow the problem down. also check to see that you have power to the positive side of the coil (+), when the key is in the run posistion. Good luck, Dan
MuddyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

I just had a similar problem and after checking for all voltages on coil, harness, etc. I found a blown fuse (IGNITION LPS). Kind of embarassing but that fixed it. Mine was not getting a spark (used timing light to check) until I stopped cranking engine it flashed once. Don't rule out simple things, they will get you every time. Good luck.
'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Dustin Maschino

ok MuddyCJ5, it will start up, but after about 30 sec. ive replaced the coil and the pick-up in the distributor. it will shut off as if someone turned off the ignition. and there is no electricity going to the positive terminal on the coil when its in the "run" position...
is it a broken wire somewhere?
Unread 02-28-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
Dustin Maschino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok MuddyCJ5, it will start up, but after about 30 sec. it will shut off as if someone turned off the ignition. ive replaced the coil and the pick-up in the distributor. and there is no electricity going to the positive terminal on the coil when its in the "run" position...
is it a broken wire somewhere?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.