Mud? Fuel issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Mud? Fuel issue?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
CamoCreeper

Mud? Fuel issue?

Well I went trail riding on a new trail .. And since I was the biggest jeep in the group that day I was elected to lead the way.. I'm normally not big into mud and have a cone style air filter on my jeep. Well we hit a section of trail that gave me no choice but to run it or turn back.. (Peer pressures a good enough excuse I guess) well I ran it. It was deeper than expected I sit on 37" tires, 1/2 inch leafs, and 2 1/2 body lift... I knew right away it was getting to the intake cause the engine began to die out a bit so I stood on it..I made it thru pulled over on dry land and had to flutter the throttle a while to get her to idle. .. It sputtered and idled rough but drove fine once accelerating. When I got home I pulled the cone pitched it replaced it. Pulled the throttle body cleaned it fully, cleaned the idle air control valve...Figured while looking at fuel system i would check the fuel filter, it was going bad so I replaced it. Dropped the tank to change the fuel pump (completely preventive, got new one for free and figured couldn't hurt while I had access to my buddys lift ) while tank was dropped I noticed a patch from a previous owner on the tank that looked to be coming un done so I replaced the tank as well.. To recap I now have a new tank, new pump, news sending unit, new filter, cleaned the throttle body, and cleaned the idle air control valve. She started right up and idled fine... For about 30 seconds then fluctuates a little while driving it pulls hard runs strong until around 1500-1700 rpm then it stutters and hesitates and sometimes even backfires .. I figured must be a little gunk somewhere so I ran a fresh tank of gas with fuel system cleaner .. After one tank problem still was there so I pulled the plugs,wires, cap, and rotor and replaced them all,, another tank of gas with fuel cleaner.. Still there.. Running out of ideas.. Any help? It's a 1993 yj with a new 4.0 (less than 1000 miles ) manual trans ..

CamoCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any codes? Perhaps throttle position sensor?
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
CamoCreeper

No codes.. But that is only because the check engine light doesn't work.. It and the left turn signal indicator have never worked and replacing bulbs didn't help. Yeah I am sorry I did replace the throttle position sensor at the same time I cleaned the throttle body.. I am lost, it runs strong, Pulls hard, right up to 1500-1700 spit sputter hesitate what have you and then pull nice and strong and sound healthy from 1700 up start to back off and it gets in that range again and sputter / hesitation again till under 1500 rpm or so.. But does not always do the sputter sometime an go 5 miles or so shifting up and down with no sputters... Wtf?!
CamoCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.