MSD ignition and Blaster Coil Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > MSD ignition and Blaster Coil Installation

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
evilpsych

MSD ignition and Blaster Coil Installation

Hey guys.. ok.. I picked up the 6A and the blaster-2 coil.. and i'm wiring this up for my 4.0 on my 93 YJ. OK.. a few questions. I've ordered the wiring harness for the YJ so I dont have to splice the wiring.

Does the Distributor have magnetic pickup? I see a wire coming from the distributor and connected to a pigtail going to the back of the engine. If it does, does the wiring kit come w/ the connector or at least a way to tell what the leads are on this connector?

The Coil doesnt have the stud for the Wire that goes between the distributor to the coil itself.. I already know I need new wires also, but what's the deal with this? Do i need to buy a stud for it?

Alright..

oh and a unrelated thing.. whats up w/ the board lately? i miss the old board that told you the newest topic for each room..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
cyan1de

This past week ive been trying to wire a holley annihilator , pretty much the same thing youll be trying to do. Well I still dont have the damn thing hooked up. I thought that the system was magnetic, but someone at holley told me that it was points. But i do have a tj and youve got a yj. Everythings pretty easy to hook up except for the wiring to the distributor, its turned out to be a real problem for me.
cyan1de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
evilpsych

Ok.. mounted the unit on the fenderwell on the passenger side.. and the blaster coil below it.. had to order a conversion stud for the coil to go from the points style plug to the electronic style stud, as well as the 4.0 no-splice wiring harness so i can go back to normal if the unit dies.. only thing.. someone told me when i hookup the magnetic pickup unit to the distributor, i'm going to lose my tach. the OEM plug has 3 studs and the MSD uses 2.. so i'm guessing that 3rd one is for the tach.. couldnt I just run a wire from this 3rd stud to the 3rd stud on the other end of the pigtail?

still looking for input and your experiences installing this thingy

anyway.. i'll have pictures and sh**t up soon..

BTT

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 12:00 AM   #4
cyan1de

well hopefully you can get the MSD to work. Apparently the holey unit I bought was incompatiable with my jeeps distributor. Luckily i bought it from truckperformance.com which is a kick *** company, theyre going to refund my money. I would like to know if you get your unit working, if so i might buy a MSD. Good luck installing it, one tip that i will give you, is be careful how you cut the wires going to youre distributor, because if you cant get the unit to work either youll have to hook the wires back up how they were originally. The gauge of the wires is pretty high, so theyre small and you dont have much room to work with around there. So im just saying make sure you can hook them back up to the wiring harness.
cyan1de is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.