MSD Ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > MSD Ignition

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Bulletproofcj7

MSD Ignition

Anyone here use a MSD type Ignition system?
I have seen the spark they provide and they are pretty impresive!
My question is, how are they installed? can they be used with the HEI ignition with the coil built into the cap?
thanks for any help!
jason

1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
Gator

hey Jason,
you can run the MSD box with the HEI however to make a HEi even better, replace the cap with one of MSD's & add the external coil of theres, the Blaster 2

I've ran a MSD Box of a 4 banger, 6 cyl & a variety of V8's

on average i got about 1-3 mpgs better afterwards

there are fairly easy to install, fairly straight forward. You'll have a Red wire that goes to the battery, a black wire for ground & another wire that will plug right into the Dist by the Tach plug thats about all you'll need
unless you do the extrenal coil swap then you'll need the small pos, going to the coil & the small ground going tot he coil as well

thats about the extent of it, all the wires are on the box that you need, dont cut any off, what i did was take a small ziploc bag, roll the wires up , place inside that & put under the box when i screwed it to the fenderwell

i hope this helps & its a great upgrade, oh one more thing, you'll gain alot more throttle response, especially crawling, not alot of bogging down or flooding
good luck
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.