Mount for AW4 in TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Mount for AW4 in TJ

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Blkholetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mount for AW4 in TJ

Ok so I did a quick search and nothing popped out at me on this subject. I have put an XJ drivetrain in my TJ complete with AW4. I did all my research and found Stu Olsen's site invaluable, thank you Stu. When I did mine I modified the XJ transmission mount to work. Now that I have it all together the transfercase sits way too high and my rear drive shaft is binding because of the steep angle. I know that Stu and others used a modified TJ mount. My question is has anyone done something different to get that rear output low and lined up better. And feel free to post anything about the swap here, I will not consider it hijacking.

Blkholetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I pretty much followed Stu's write up when I did my AW4 swap. When I measured the height of the transfer case rear output after the swap it was only an inch higher than when I started.

I'm not familiar with the XJ transmission mounts so I'm not real sure how to modify it. Do you have any pics of what you have now? Maybe somebody could see what you have and give you a good idea.

Mike

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Blkholetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481
I pretty much followed Stu's write up when I did my AW4 swap. When I measured the height of the transfer case rear output after the swap it was only an inch higher than when I started.

I'm not familiar with the XJ transmission mounts so I'm not real sure how to modify it. Do you have any pics of what you have now? Maybe somebody could see what you have and give you a good idea.

Mike
I will try to add pics but I have to hit the 25 post mark before I can. But thanks for the reply. My tcase sits about 2 1/2 inches or so higher from the skid plate then my wife's does, it is just a matter of getting it lower in the pan.
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkholetj View Post
I know that Stu and others used a modified TJ mount.
All I did was remove the stock TJ rubber isolator and mounted it to a flat plate then mounted that to the trans. I lined up the isolator with the skid so I could use the factory holes. I'm guessing that the XJ mount sticks down a ways further???

RIP 4-14-2012
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Blkholetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok got some pictures. My idea at this point will be to attach a flat plate to the trans, then using something like body mount bushings put two holes through the skid plate to hold it in place and provide some vibration isolation.

here is one showing the angle. The rear drive shaft seems to be binding at times and this is the main reason I am looking to change.

Unread 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-pa...ts-Catalog.PDF

Go to page 154 of this PDF. I got rid of part #3 and mounted part #28 with a flat piece of 1/4" plate.

RIP 4-14-2012
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Blkholetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-pa...ts-Catalog.PDF

Go to page 154 of this PDF. I got rid of part #3 and mounted part #28 with a flat piece of 1/4" plate.
Ok that looks like what Stu did in his build. I used the XJ mount because I had it and didn't realize it would make it that much taller. It actually mounted up pretty slick using the factory holes in the skid plate. I just had to drill new holes in the top to shift it back about an inch to line up. I guess good looks don't always work out. Thanks for that info though it is good to know that setup doesn't raise it very much over stock.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.