motori 2.5l diesel cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > motori 2.5l diesel cherokee

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 08-14-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
jeepfromhell

motori 2.5l diesel cherokee

Recently purchased a second hand 2.5l diesel cherokee (97 mod.). I cannot get any information about these motors/performance chips/problems/economy etc. I donot know if it ok! or not ! I have now done 10,000 klms! Each time I start it I have no more confidence in the vehicle than I did the first time it broke down ( electrical I think). I love they way it climbs out of slippery rough terrain, however ! anyone have any experiance with these ? So far I like the idea of the jeep but perhaps this one is a lemmon !!!

Unread 08-15-2001, 12:15 AM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Regretfully, most of the folks on this board are from the USA. The Diesel Jeeps were not sold here, so we have little experience with them. I do know what you mean though, I have been fighting with a Chevrolet Diesel Suburban for two years... and I think it is winning!!!

Sorry about not being of any help!
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2001, 03:16 PM   #3
DieselCj

Yes they were sold in the US, but they were very limited production, they were in cherokees, I'm not sure if the exact years but I know they had diesels in some of the cherokees I think in the mid 80's.
Unread 09-20-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
jeepfromhell

We are now experiancing a love hate relationship with this vehicle! thanks for your reply!after 15000klms we are getting used to its bad habits and driver unfriendly manners. We now have some fuel figures for those interested. 2000klms highway driving 8.919 litres per 100klms with air on! thats about 11.2 klms per litre or upto 500miles to the standard 74litre tank (using 73litres)
our usual driving returns about 650 klms per tank (air on). Power stats !!hhmmm impressive torque. after an experiance with a holden jackaroo six cylinder turbo diesel, he pissed us off with overtaking and dropping speed constantly below our cruise
set speed! over about 100klms of the journey, We approached a long steep uphill climb and he was determined to keep us behind him, we accelerated (pedal to the metal on both cars i assume) and at the top the jeep had overpowered its supposedly more powerfull opponent hitting an uphill speed of more than 140klms per hour with relative comfort. the thing was if the hill (2klms long)kept going our speed was still increasing !!! i was impressed he was not.
we also had a friend with a ford explorer follow us off road on some rough terrain, we litterally walked the slippery steep rough terrain with cd playing and air on, not bottoming out or experiancing anything other than cool conditions and good music. my friends vehicle bottomed out a few times and gave him the feeling that it was not upto what the jeep is, in off road conditions!
after almost 1500klms of ownership we are brave enough to take it on our intended around australia trip. i have a (1" only) lift kit and probalbly will go with rancho's but no other modifications. we intend to log the journey and wont be backing off on any of the roughest terrain you might find anywhere in the world !!! a 27,900 klm. journey over twelve months. we are taking tents and camping gear (experianced bush people) Our intention is to video the jeep doing it all, and the most wonderfull tourist destinations we can find. We will be logging the record of the jouney on our web page and offering some film to companies in australia for tourism commercials and camping off road shows we have here!!. hopefully the sights we record and the way we do it as a middle aged couple will help fund the trip as we work our way around!!
we are seeking interested sponsors in australia and overseas.
By the way , our heatrs and souls go out to the people of USA. we display the ribbon on our web page to show support and have prayed for you all, and the allies all over the world.. Onward christian soldiers..we are with you in spirit and in line if called..ric
Unread 09-20-2001, 06:49 PM   #5
my litte red yj

i would love to put that engine in mine if i can find a good used engine i use mine for going back and forth to work
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2001, 08:59 PM   #6
jeepfromhell

Quote:
Originally posted by my litte red yj:
i would love to put that engine in mine if i can find a good used engine i use mine for going back and forth to work
jeepfromhell..well, they are coming your way !!! with the new liberty, except it has a different chip which gives better performance regarding kw, torque and fuel efficiency. i would like to get the new chip !! We would have liked to get to a new diesel before the previous owner and the previous service people got to it !! it could be an awsome power plant if they could make it more user friendly. a friend told me he actually got 880klms from a tank from a newer one than mine !! it is still a love hate relationship with this one however. take into account this 1997 model cost us aud$30k delivered second hand !! and new at hte time were $43k delivered on the road !! they are a much more expensive vekicle in australia when you consider our dollar is about half of yours. we still only get similar pay however. we do about 600klms to and from work each week, that is why we got the diesel model. we have a dana locking differential standard but cannot find a model number. we want to tow stuff from time to time and heard the diffs are weak. any ideas!! take into account also parts in OZ are rare and a new injector pump alone costs over $6,000.!! an overhaul on the motor $8-10,000aud. it can be a worry when you are uncertain about the vehicle and are on minimum wages!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.