Motor seized? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Motor seized?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
greene86cj
1986 CJ7 

Motor seized?

I have an 86 auto trans that I purchased. It ran at the time, but I started to change the tub out, which ended up taking a year. Now, the starter engages but the engine won't turn over, load clunk! I even jumped the starter straight from the battery, same thing. Could the auto tranny cause the flywheel to lock and not turn? What could cause an engine not to turn over? Need a checklist of causes, excluding the starter itself, I know it's good, bought a brand new one to eliminate that possibility. Help!

greene86cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
blubullett
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you try putting a socket and breaker bar on the ballancer and try to turn it over?
blubullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubullett View Post
Did you try putting a socket and breaker bar on the ballancer and try to turn it over?
I agree with this, but first take out the plugs and pour in a bit of transmission fluid into the cylinders. Let it sit for a few days and try it again with the plugs out. Once you get it freed up, spin it over with the starter for a bit to clear the oil before you put the plugs back in.

Hopefully it is just a bit of rust and it will spin free again.
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

^ like he said, I have seen rust do that on a few engines, if you try to turn it by hand, try turning it both ways. Do that and see what happens, they will usually be fine once they break free. It is also possible that the trans is locked up but very unlikely. I knew somebody that replaced their engine thinking it was locked up when it was the trans. Also another possibility is one of the accesories could be locked up, if the belts are good and not slipping something like an a/c compressor or water could be locked up, remove the belts and see what happens.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
greene86cj
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice. I tried to remove the plugs and turn the motor by hand, still couldn't turn it. What is strange is a months ago it was doing the same thing when I first put it back together. I changed the solenoid ( I now believe I fried it do to the engine not turning). It ended up turning over, but was dragging. I ordered a msd ign and installed it. Tried to crank it and got a loud clunk. So I replaced the starter thinking it was the problem. Same loud clunk. It is definitely engaging at the fly wheel. It is strange how it turned over a few times a month ago but now won't. It's been in a garage.
greene86cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.