Motor ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Motor ID

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-20-2002, 07:40 AM   #1
GR8YT

Motor ID

After 30 or so years of wanting, I finally bought my first Jeep. It's a '79 CJ-5, 304?, T-18, F/R lockers, 4" lift, and 33-12.50 BFG's. After driving it a couple of days and failing emissions, I had the stock 2 bbl. carb rebuilt. The guy that did the work said the carb was a '72 and he wouldn't be surprised if the motor was too. He even thought it might be a 360. How can I tell for sure?
This is my first post but not my last. The Jeep has great curb appeal but has many small problems that I will be needing your expert help with, i.e., no emerg brake, no horn, gas guage inaccurate, minor electrical problems, etc. I've ordered a Chilton's and a Jeeper's Bible from Amazon as a first step. I'm really glad to have found this forum and look forward to digging in to this new project. Harry

GR8YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

I don't have an answer for you, but I also finally bought my first jeep after thinking about it for about 20 years. I got to a point where I could shell out a few extra bucks for a never-ending project and decided I wasn't getting any younger. I picked up an '80 CJ-7 about 2 months ago, and my fix-it list looked alot like yours..

So far I've pulled the body apart and took care of the current rust as well as slowing down any new rust. I herculined the tub, and put a new bikini top on it. I exchanged the worn-out stock column shifter linkage for a B&M Megashifter (automatic). Replaced the exhaust gaskets, fixed the horn, replaced several light bulbs, upgraded to a TFI ignition, changed all the fluids. etc. etc.... I then discovered I had Moser 1-piece axles, but the bearings were toast, so I spent the last two weekends replacing the seals and bearings and redoing the rear brakes... turned out great and not too difficult, and no leaks as of yet...

Overall, I've done almost no 4-wheeling, but have a lot of time turning wrenches and know a lot more about jeeps than I ever thought I would.... Wouldn't trade it for the world <grin>
knowlwk@snowhill.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
mozz

On the engine block near the motor mount it will be stamped 304,360 etc...
Hedman Fenderwell headers
4WD Fiberglass Body
4" lift W/ 35" BF Goodrich AT
Pioneer CD player W/ Pioneer 200 watt amp 10 in. sub speaker box Shoved behind rear seat for now (Till I can make a permanent box)
mozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.