Motor Help (push rods) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Motor Help (push rods)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
fire2fire
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Motor Help (push rods)

Ijust bought a jeep grand wagoneer this last weekend at a auction. The jeep has been sitting for 12yrs without being moved. The motor (360) was purring like a kitten. I drove it to the gas station put in 9 gallon (%91) on top of the 12yr old 7 gallons in the tank. Drove it home 8 miles, and the next morning I started it and now itís ticking on the driverís side valves.

I did an oil change then brought it home and removed the valve covers on the driverís side and found that each cylinder had a bent push rod.

I have not yet removed the cover on the other side to see if it too has bent push rods.

What could have caused one push rod of each cylinder to bend???

This may help you help me!
1 bent back rod
3 bent front
5 bent back
7 bent front

THIS SUCKS PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

imag1022.jpg  
fire2fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
fire2fire
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So here is what I found.

All 8 intake push rods where bent.

After fuel sits for 12 years it turns to varnish and can hold your valves(intake) in place like it was welded. I ended up taking off the valve covers and spraying carb cleaner into the lifters and worked them in and out till free. Then I worked some marvel mystery oil in to them until operating smooth.I also replaced all 16 push rods.

What should have happened before any one even tried to start a vehicle aftersitting for years without running.

1- Empty fuel tank and have boiled

2- Rebuild carb

3- Try to turn motor by hand to see if its free, if not pull all spark plugsand put some marvel mystery oil, wait 24hrs then try again, if still frozenremove valve covers and make sure all valves are free.

Ok that’s all I have I hope this helps someone so they don't have to gothrough the trouble I did.
fire2fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.