motor help.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > motor help....

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
wikid

motor help....

I need to know how hard it is to change a motor out in my 91 cherokee

wikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
MoparXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What are you planning to replace it with?
MoparXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's not hard at all if:
You have experience turning wrenches.
You have the ability to pay attention to detail.
You have the necessary hand tools.
You have an engine hoist.
You have an adequate work space.
You have good hand/eye coordination.
You have adequate strength to perform the needed tasks.

From here it's kind of hard to evaluate any of those things for you.

Welcome to the forum.
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
wikid

I'm replacing it with the inline 6.
wikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikid View Post
I'm replacing it with the inline 6.
That doesn't address any of the things I have in my last post.

Open the hood.
Take a look a the engine.
Just to keep this short, everything that is connected to the engine block and head will have to be dissconnect and/or removed. The engine will have to be unbolted from the transmission and removed from the engine compartment. The replacement engine will have to be inserted and bolted to the transmission. Everything you disconnected and/or removed from the old engine will have to be reinstalled/connected.

I'm sure you are looking for a simple answer. Here it is. It's not hard at all. I can do it in an afternoon after work and drive it to work the next morning. The problem is that I've spent 40+ years working on airplanes, helicopters, motorcycles, dozers, tractors, combines, balers, hay rakes, planters, cars, trucks, bicycles, trailers, generators, ... We've got no idea what your skill level is or what you have in the way of tools and work area. We don't know if it is your only means of transportation and if you live 60 miles from the nearest town and parts store. We don't know if you have the ability to see a project through to its completion or if you have a habit of quiting when you are half way done. It might take you a week and then you may still have to pay someone to come over and finish it for you.
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
MoparXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Whatever your experience, whatever your budget. Within reason, thinking, and a little patience, you can pull it off especially if it's an even swap.
MoparXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Mopar, patience, if this is your first motor swap label everything. Use colored zip ties, tape and sharpie, and don't be afraid to take lots of pictures. Put bolts into sandwich bags and label where they came from. Good luck and tell us how it's going

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.