most cost effective way to swap a v8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > most cost effective way to swap a v8

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
zackyv

most cost effective way to swap a v8

hey guys im new to here an was wondering whats the best an cheapest way to swap a v8 into a 94 yj that had a 2.5l an a 5 speed an im on a highschool budget tganks

zackyv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Most cost effective way is to sell the 4 banger and buy an 8 cylinder.
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Find a wrecked vehicle that has all the necessary amenities and part out the pieces you don't need. Its expensive either way you go really. I bought an 89 Chevy 1500 and parted it out. My drive train was essentially free afterwards, however I had to rebuild the engine and trans and im about 1500-2000 into it.

You will want to find a set of axles to keep the additional power happy. Stock rear end won't last long. At least wouldn't in my high school budget days.

Don't overlook the 4.3L s10 engine either. Its a good unit, and a 4wd s10 can be had reasonable. A buddy picked up a wrecked 95 s10 blazer for less than $1000. There's your engine, trans, case, wiring and what not.
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I agree, get the complete donor vehicle or at least the complete drivetrain + computer(s).

Adapters and custom wiring harnesses are expensive, so avoiding using them can save you some money.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I use a complete donor S10 when I can.
Zero adapters etc that way.
My thread has the part numbers for everything you would need like hoses etc.
You can reuse your harness, or get a Painless one etc, your call.
Last one I did would have cost @ $1600 for the swap, if he knew what he was doing and did not rebuild the engine, tranny, etc.
Instead he paid me to do it all!

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Ha, the only reason I got the vehicle so cheap was that it had 328k on it and finally blew head gasket. Figured if I was rebuilding the engine I didn't want my tranny to be a weak link so I followed suit with the rest. Part of my cost was steel to plate the unibody so i didn't end with a crumpled beer can in the end. You can skip that portion since your rig has a real frame.

You won't realize it until its too late but all the small things will cost you a load of money. Exhaust, wiring, radiator, fans. I am using every last bit of the truck that i can. Slightly regretting it now but i sold off my exhaust for scrap since the guy offered a fair amount for the catalytic converter.

One other small bit of help, keep the jeep complete until the bitter end. Have the engine and what not out and ready (from donor vehicle) and keep jeep whole as long as possible. Few things that will help as you have time to part out your other vehicle to have some spending money for the swap. And you still have the jeep to drive and if you plan on selling the 4cyl buyers like to see the engine run before buying.
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackyv View Post
hey guys im new to here an was wondering whats the best an cheapest way to swap a v8 into a 94 yj that had a 2.5l an a 5 speed an im on a highschool budget tganks
You're not going to like this.....
Sell what you have and buy one with a 4.0
Quick, easy, and very little mechanical knowledge required. Keeps the fab skills to a minimum as well.
If you take your time, the cost should be little to nothing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.