Misfire troubleshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Misfire troubleshooting

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
SkaterGirl916
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Misfire troubleshooting

Greetings Fellow Jeep Lovers!

I'm seeking some advice since I am a novice at working on my Jeep. I've had it for about 6 years. All that I have learned about working on engines is owed to having my Jeep. I have a 1996 (although my code reader doesn't work on it so I'm assuming it's really a 95 1/2), Cherokee, inline 6, 4.0L

I took my Jeep on a approx. 60 mile highway run and when I came to a stop it began to idle roughly. Almost as if it was going to stall and the Check Engine light came on. I promptly returned home. I hooked up my code reader which failed to communicate, thus thinking she really is a 95 1/2 Jeep. I took her to AAMCO so they could pull the codes for free. Mind you, she ran much better on the streets but still a little rough idle. I did have to gun it once (road rage) and got a puff of black smoke out of the tailpipe. The following codes were pulled: P0171 (lean at bank 1), P0172 (rich at bank 1) and P0306 (cylinder 6 misfire). I changed the spark plugs, spark plug #6 smelled like it has some gas on it. I used a volt meter to check the fuel injectors and they were all reading around 15 ohms.

Does anyone have any great advice before I start shelling out cash to replace parts here and there to find out what is wrong??

THANK YOU!! in advance!

SkaterGirl916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

O2 sensors?? Have they ever been changed. Bad readings will mess with mixture settings.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

How about wires, cap and rotor? They're due for replacement every 30,000 miles.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.