Mercedes OM617 users... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Mercedes OM617 users...

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Mercedes OM617 users...

Just looking for experience from people that used this engine for their conversion. Generally just how happy you are with the power, problems you ran into while converting and most important

MILES PER GALLON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nobody? bummer
Quote:
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
superduty59
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of doing it right now. I should be done in about 1.5 months. Mine is a OM617 into a 88 YJ with an AX-15.
superduty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I hope you have a build thread going!!!
Quote:
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
superduty59
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I plan on doing one but here is a XJ link http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-...0r4-np231.html
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do a Google search...there was a member on here who did this swap with success. He started selling the adapter plates. I'd give you the name of the site but I forgot it...if o come across it ill post it up. Actually YouTube "Wrangler om617" should bring up a few videos...the website is in one of them (believe its a brown wrangler w/ Mercedes emblem on the grill)
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
superduty59
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the site. http://mercedesdiesel4x4.com/default.aspx
jeep-dsl is his screen name.
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet site, all the info I need!

Thanks!
Quote:
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bump. Anyone else do this?

If love to drop an om617 into my 2001. Legally, it might be a mess.

I watched a show last night about algae oil biodiesel and waste veg oil. So sick, less emissions and pretty cheap.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Perhaps you should check out what repacement parts cost for those engines before you swap. I put a couple hundred k miles on two different cars with those and both got mid 30's for mileage-not bad for full sized cars. After you get by the turbo lag, there is plenty of torque-but next to nothing before spooled up.

Down side: they generally do not go any farther than modern injected gas engines before needing a rebuild and you can build a really wild completely aftermarket Chevy small block for about 1/2 of what a rebuild costs on a 617. I still have one of those Benz's (82 300CD), along with a 83 380SL and both are going away ASAP-parts are just too ridiculous, even if you do all the work.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would NEVER swap a gas motor in. Way too inefficient. But yeah, you're right, they are probably fading away.
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
superduty59
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Never a gasser only diesel. A gassser engine can't use cooking oil, used motor oil, used tranny fluid, ect as fuel. Only a diesel can. I would have to disagree about the miles before a rebuild. I have seen 4 OM617's with 500,000+ miles without a rebuild. The worlds record for a street driven vehicle has a OM617 in it and has almost 2 million miles and counting without a rebuild. I don't know of any gassers doing anything like that.

I haven't priced a lot of parts for my OM617 yet just common wear items like water pump, timing components, injectors, glow plugs, ect and were very cheap. A water pump was only like $36.
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My buddy has a 300d, and it runs like a top. It needs new tires though, so it's back at his home, 300 miles from school. He is driving a Honda instead, and it just doesn't have the character and quality like the Benz!

I'd agree, the om617 is akin to the jeep 4.0. Most just need minor maintenance.
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
OM617orBUST
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OM617 into 89' YJ

Hi guys, im getting everything together to pull off this swap. Found a low miles 82' 300TD that has little blow by and no leaks of anykind. YJ's 4.2L is getting tired, and it has a AX15. Seems like a pair of motor mounts and a bell housing adapter, fuel line swap, and some other trivial block grinding, oil pan hacking will be needed. All in all I was a fan of a 4BT, until I realized I could pull this swap without a stack popping out of my hood; and a more importantly, pull it off for the price i had set aside for a 4BT, while keeping my stock drivetrain. I think the 617 is a wonderful alternative to the 4BT, if sub par performance is acceptable to you, assuming you can get a donor car for next to nothing. I hope to be ordering a bell housing adapter from Koch Enterprises (who has already been incredibly helpful and informative over the phone about what to look for when buying a 300D) along with motor mounts within the week. If anybody has tips suggestions or what-not let me know! Ive been reading JEEPFourm.com for some time now, but only today became a member. Lots of great info here, and everyone seems friendly and very helpful to each other. First thing on my list though is to upgrade from the free membership ASAP, im realizing all too quick 200x200 pixels isnt gonna cut it.
OM617orBUST is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.