which master cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > which master cylinder

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

which master cylinder

I am doing a frame off on a 75 cj5 by myself. I swaped the disc brakes on a 78 cj5 but am now having trouble knowing what to do with the master cylinder. I know this has to have been done before, but no one where I live knows anything about it and act like I am crazy! Every part I order seems to be wrong and on and on. Been working on this thing since 2011 and getting a little tired and discouraged. Anyway enough crying. I bought a master cylinder for a 78 but the rod in the back won't fit off the 75. So do I need to get the 75 master cylinder or have they given me the wrong part again? I am pretty sure the rod on the 78 won't fit on the brake petal on the 75. Can anyone give me some kind of advice?

bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can always swap tyhe rod end. Usually held in by some type of clip and has nothing to do with internals. I have to do that with my YJ clutch master from an external upgrade on an 89.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks! That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. My trouble is which or what rod to use or order. Noone at the parts store here has a clue. I could use the rod I have off the 75 with a different clip maybe, but I am thinking it will be too long. I guess I could cut it off, but I don't want to screw it up then need it later! Maybe I can bolt everything up and see how it fits then cut the one off the 75 off if needed. I guess I better see if the parts store can get a clip that will work first! Any thoughts on that idea?
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

try searching in the CJ technical forum. It has been done before countless times, so there is a way.
You may need to weld something though, like the rod etc, so be prepared for that.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks! I knew it had to have been done before! I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. I am not real computer inclined though. I am so close to firing this thing up I can taste it! I am so tired of having to figure things out! It seems I spend more time trying to figure things out than getting to work on it! There isn't a piece on this Jeep that hasn't either been stripped down to the metal and repainted or replaced. If I don't get this thing going by spring where I can ride with the top off I don't know if I can make it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.