Manual Transmission/clutch fluid leak...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Manual Transmission/clutch fluid leak...?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
jeepluv99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Manual Transmission/clutch fluid leak...?

unfortunately my first post is a problem post...
i have a slow leak (a quarter to a baseball size puddle per day, is that slow?) from a seal or something on my 99 wrangler manual transmission. its wet toward the rear and there's a red seal between two different parts of the tranny that looks shot. i think the fluid is a red color, and my skid plate is always wet, with drips forming. I don't know that its a seal problem, could there be something wrong with the tranny internally? Is it cheaper/ easier to just fill fluid as it gets low at this rate...i mean, does this sound like a slow leak or fast?
Jeep has 84000 on it.
No real issues shifting or clutching.
Is it bad to leave it in gear when parked?
Is it bad to pull it into neutral without clutching?
thank you so much.
otherwise the jeep has been tons of fun.

jeepluv99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What I suggest is to clean up the area with degreaser the best you can and really try to isolate the leak. Snap a picture if you can, that way folks here can zero in on the issue.

In regards to this:
Is it bad to leave it in gear when parked?
Is it bad to pull it into neutral without clutching?

Leaving it in gear when parked is probably a good thing, especially if you live on a hill, that way your rig doesn't go rollin down the street. That should be fine, though sometimes on a large incline/decline you will get a little binding when parked. What I do is stop, press ebrake, THEN put into gear.

Regarding the neutral, I'm not super advanced as to the internals of this but I would use the clutch. When going through the gears or from gear to neutral.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and there is probably only a few quarts in your transmission, so if it is leaking a baseball sized puddle every time you park, you might be loosing an 1/10 quart a day or so, these trans are pretty tough but of course its bad to run with less than spec fluid levels. Get it fixed up man you'll feel better
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.