Manual trans. question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Manual trans. question

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
LMcBrearty3
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Manual trans. question

Have a 2003 4.0 stick shift. When the clutch is disengaged tranny is quiet when clutch is engaged it sounds like a loud rattling sound. Clutch and throw out bearing replaced about a year ago. I am not bad with a wrench and have the tools to pull a tranny, but this is my daily driver, and I want to have a plan before I tear in to anything. Jeep will be paid off in a couple of months, and i would like to start looking at add-ons, but want to address the mechanical items first. Any help would appreciated. Thumbsup

LMcBrearty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same. No worries.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and go long arm lift or leave it alone.
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
LMcBrearty3
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advise
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think the noise is throw out bearing. Really not sure.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
LMcBrearty3
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was doing some recon, and think it may be the pilot bearing and or the hydraulic throwout bearing seat. But i think you can tell if the throwout bearing is bad if it chatters when the clutch is disengaged. But to be honest i am not sure. I also am trying to see if the release bearing might be binding as well. Ever have any experience with any of those issues?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.