Maintenance Required Light on 92 Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Maintenance Required Light on 92 Cherokee Sport

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
Derek J. Sherwood

Maintenance Required Light on 92 Cherokee Sport

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents' '92 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L inline six engine. At 120,000 miles, the "Maintenance Required" light came on, and I have been unable to turn it off for them.

The Maintenance light is distinctly separate from the Check Engine light. When I ran the codes for the Check Engine it returned Code 55, which means End of Output/no codes stored. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after a few minutes did nothing to turn the Maintenance light out.

Does anyone know how to turn this light off? It must be mileage-generated as it has not come on before and I have been religiously maintaining the car for them as they are not mechanical. The car needs an oil change in 1000 miles but aside from that everything has been seen to--recent tune-up, air filter, coolant flush, etc.

I looked up under the dash for a switch or plug to turn it off, but found nothing. My father's '91 Mazda has a pair of QD connectors which alternate between one hook up, so that when the engine light comes on, you simply switch to the vacant QD connector and it turns it off. Does the Jeep have something similar? The Haynes manual goes into great detail about the "Check Engine" light, but doesn't even mention the "Maintenance Required" light.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek J. Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
rodgersmc

My cousin drove a '90 Cherokee for 3 or 4 years ago... we drove that thing like crazy together. Once we took a road trip from Oklahoma City to Monterrey, Mexico for the heck of it... lots of miles in 90-100 degree weather (and no, we didn't register the vehicle... had to bribe our way back into the US... long story).

Anyway, for 3 of his 4 years in that jeep the maintenance light was on... came on at around 100k and just stayed on. No one could get it off. I would say just don't worry about it... if your parents are freaked out by it, just clip the wires leading in... no more light.
32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.