Low operating temp. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Low operating temp.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

Low operating temp.

My 95 zj 4.0 always ran at 210 degrees recently the gauge has been on the line below 210 or the next line down. I replaced the thermostat with a napa t-stat no change so I installed a oem t-stat no change. I also replaced radiator cap and the sending unit no change. Water pump is 3-4 months old was recently replaced. i do not have access to infrared thermometer but thats my next step i guess, see what the actual temp is at the t-stat then check the dash gauge but any help or ideas would be appreciated

I did notice when I replaced the radiator cap and went for a short drive it reached 210 but fell back down immediately and noticed today when engine is warming up while sitting in cab at idle when I rev it I can here the flow of water in the dash (hope thats normal) and it does blow hot air

SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like it might be a gauge calibration issue to me, at least I would like to verify that first so you might try to get a temp reading with another gauge or thermometer first. Really if its not the gauge it would almost have to be the thermostat. The cooling system if working right should have the capacity to make the engine run cooler but its the thermostat that keeps the engine operating temperature normal. I would not suspect anything else at this point.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I'm gonna swap gauges and see what happens I'll post the results. Thank you for the input
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

ok so determined its not the gauge and engine was indeed running at normal temp it was either bad units i had purchased from napa because i purchased one from orielys installed it and getting a 210 reading now. i also cleaned the surface of the head where the nut of the sensor touches the head dont know if that helped "maybe needed a better ground"?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.