loudest ticking i have ever heard. possible engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > loudest ticking i have ever heard. possible engine swap

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
mantooth
1981 CJ5 

loudest ticking i have ever heard. possible engine swap

So today i was driving on the highway at about 65 and all of a sudden my engine started to tick super loud probably the loudest tick i have ever heard coming from an engine and it also started to bog down and skip a little. i just recently got the jeep. its a 81 cj5 with the 4.2 inline 6. i pulled over and turned it off as fast as i could. i popped open the hood and looked to see that my air intake was barely still on. the retard that had it before me had it held on with a threaded rod with a nut on the end then a washer then through the little eye hole on the top of the carb then another washer then the air intake body and lid then another nut. the bottom nut and 2 washers (not sure if it was both or just one) fell into the carb. i pulled the nut out of the carb and then tried to start it up and it still knocked so shut it off right away. then i got it towed home on a flatbed and took the carb off. saw one of the washers under the carb stuck on those spikey looking things in the intake manifold where the carb sits. pulled that one out and tried it again and still same thing. so i shut it off right away again. pulled the valve cover off and none of the valves were very loose but i also noticed there was very little oil even after just having it run for a little bit. my friend and i took the starter cable off and turned it over with the valve cover off and no oil came shooting up so my oil pump must have been screwed as well now. i have no idea where to go from here and just need some ideas as to what it could be. im really temped to do an engine swap to something with more torque and power and get a tranny that lines up with the new engine. just shoot me out some ideas as to what the knock could be and also some possible engine and tranny combos that wont run me bankrupt but still good for rock crawling and mudding

Unread 08-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I'll bet a washer got under one of the valves. Pull the head off and see.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

bent valves and pushrods i bet. i bet you have a nice imprint on the top of a few pistons also from the nut and washer..tim e for some work.

upgrade to the new style 4.0 ho head while your at it...makes for a better running 4.2

steve
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , crawl , engine swap , help needed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.