loud whining from rear end d44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > loud whining from rear end d44

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

loud whining from rear end d44

98 Xj 145k 6.5" with SYE d44 4.88 gears with limited slip. I have had this problem since I've bought it 8months ago. PO stated he's tried fixing it with outer bearings when he realized it was from the inside. Possible pinion bearing. He bought the Xj modified too so it could be just years of abuse that has caused this. From 10mph till about 40 45mph a loud almost deafening whine come from the rear end and it continues around 20mph as i slow down. Any type of coasting down hill it quiets up but with even a tap to the gas petal itll whine. Hopefully someone can tell me "yeah that's exactly what it is!" Because I don't really have the money to replace a whole lot. I guess the first step would be pull the cover clean and refill. Just hope I'm not looking at replacing a rear end now. Those gears are not cheap!

Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

why refill? new oil wont fix this. if this is as bad as you have said, driving it will make it worse. check the pinion first and the rear drive line,(just in case).

is the rear tipped up A lot.? if it is that will starve the pinion bearing of oil. if you fix it, next time over fill it to bring the level up.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
kornfanxx61
Mall crawler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

From what I know it might be a good call to shake your rear drive shaft at the yolk, if you have play in it you have a bad pinion bearing, which can cause whining, also check your pinion seal, take some degreaser and brake clean and see if you have any leaks after you clean off the diff
kornfanxx61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It was just a thought... I gotta get in there to inspect the gears anyways.. There is a slight incline on the axle but no signs of shims.
img_20130901_194240.jpg

img_20130901_194336.jpg

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
kornfanxx61
Mall crawler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

New fluid might not be a bad call if you are trying to postpone rebuilding your rear end, check quadratec for a high fill point axle cover too, helps get axle fluid back there as well
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfanxx61 View Post
From what I know it might be a good call to shake your rear drive shaft at the yolk, if you have play in it you have a bad pinion bearing, which can cause whining, also check your pinion seal, take some degreaser and brake clean and see if you have any leaks after you clean off the diff
Do I have to drop the driveshaft for that? I just checked with it bolted up and that sucker isn't moving
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
kornfanxx61
Mall crawler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nah you don't but if its solid then there's an internal problem, run some royal purple 75-140 in there and see if it helps with the whining, sometimes the whining happens because there's water damage to the axle from off Roading, Dana and mopar both say that if water gets 2 inches above the center of your rim to do a fluid change in your diffs, those seals don't stop standing water. But it's probably still gonna whine until you rebuild your rear end.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I pulled the cover today and inspected everything. Carrier bearings are shot. Pulled a lot of metal out also. Any know a good website to order carrier bearings and shims?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.