Loosing power to pcm? Drive cycles getting deleted. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Loosing power to pcm? Drive cycles getting deleted.

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
67dartgt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My '98 Xj sport 4x4 will not pass smog ( California ). Though my tail pipe is clean (emissions wise), I had no active monitors thus failing smog. At first I thought the Computer was hung up because I had problems with the idle position sensor but, no check engine light. So, I erased all drive cycles with my obd2, planning on re-setting the drive cycles/driving. ( I had nothing to loose) After a couple tanks of gas and several hundred miles, I decided to scan my computer once again once again. I had found that the oxygen sensors, fuel, catalysts, misfire, and evap had run their drive cycles. I was almost there! When I scanned the car the next day, I had lost my O2 sensors, evap, and catalyst. What the hell?? So, yesterday, I drove the crap out of it, and had completed all drive cycles but the evap. Again excited! I went back outside and scanned the car, all drive cycles were gone!! Am I loosing power to the pcm? Some how, my drive cycles are getting erased when I turn off my ignition. Has anyone heard of this? Is my igniting switch killing power to the pcm? My radio is not losing power. My battery is new. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything?

Last edited by 67dartgt; 02-15-2015 at 07:23 PM..
67dartgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
67dartgt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Scans from two different days:
image-1720135359.jpg

image-2247316724.jpg

Unread 02-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

I've attached some diagrams and drawings for you to check out.

You have one of a few things going on. Either you're dropping out the one fused power feed to the computer, one of two grounds or your PCM memory is shot. I believe if you had a power or a ground dropping out and resetting your computer, your jeep would die while driving. I think the memory or some internal connection in the PCM might be the more likely choice.
pcm-connections.jpg  
File Type: pdf PCM Connectors.pdf (30.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf PCM power.pdf (40.0 KB, 9 views)
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the fused battery power is more suspect in this case.

could be a problem at the pcm connector or PDC. you can get on pin 22 with a meter and move things around in/under the PDC and see if the voltage is stable.

If this checks out, you could be looking at replacement PCM.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
67dartgt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm leaning more towards PCM a replacement. It seems as soon as I approach completing my drive cycles, the PCM starts to purge data. This has happened about five times. I'm thinking that the PCM memory is compromised, only capable of holding small amounts of memory. The car can hold memory for several days but once it starts approaching completing its drive cycles is when the data gets deleted. My next question is if I buy a new PCM does it have to be flashed by the dealer or do most PCM's come with programs installed? May be a PCM reflash from the dealer?
Unread 02-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

no flash is required. it should be plug n play.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.