Looking for some help or advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Looking for some help or advice?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Edward777
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for some help or advice?

Hey guys well to make it short john,jake, and myself were installing a locker the other night and when pulling the carrier we figured out that the bearing were bad on the sides of the carrier. So i got the new bearings and everything but now we dont have a special tool to get them off. Does anyone know how to set the backlash and have a speical tool to pull the bearings . If i took this to a shop what price should i be looking at the just set the backlash and put the new bearings on? Thanks so much.

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Once you change the bearings, you need re set the gears. You will need a press to set the bearings, and a press plate to remove the bearings. You cant just take the carrier to the shop and have them set the back lash. You will need to get everything to a shop to have them reset the gears.

It is time consuming, meticulous, and precise. I can do an set in a couple hours, tops, but I have done many of these. Look for a write up on how to set up gears.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...lation_Kit.pdf
This is a write up from Yukon, however it the same no matter what gears you are using.

If you take it to a shop to reassemble, you will be looking at 200-400 in labor.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Edward777
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks notmyj but why would i have to reset the gears?
Unread 10-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All you need to pull the bearings off is a standard gear puller.. I had to modify my gear puller to fit the arb locker(I had to grind it thinner to fit under the gear.)

You should not need to reset the backlash/preload(with luck) as long as you use excactly the same shims as what came off in the 1st place.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward777
thanks notmyj but why would i have to reset the gears?
There are manufacturing tolerances in the bearings. That could be enough to throw out the tooth contact pattern. Anytime something is changed in a differential, you should run paint, and reset as needed. With the exception of side gears and or spider gears.

You may get lucky and have a good pattern after you re install, but if its not, you may end up with gear whine, too much or too little back lash. All of which will negatively effect the longevity and durability of your differential,
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.