Looking for help in engine swap choices, Chevy, Jeep, or any others - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Looking for help in engine swap choices, Chevy, Jeep, or any others

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
rosenb1995yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for help in engine swap choices, Chevy, Jeep, or any others

I have a 95 yj and i would really like to get rid of the 2.5 and AX-5 combo. I have done research but i cannot get a strait answer from anybody. I have narrowed it down to three choices.

4.3 chevy v-6 and NV 3550 to my NV231
5.3 chevy v8 and NV 3550 to my NV231
or
4.7 from the Grand Cherokee or Dakota to the NV3550.

I dont have a ton of money to spend but does anyone know if the 4.7 will accept the AX-15 or NV3550 with no adapter?
Which Tranny is better and is it strong enough?
And Which combo will give me the best option to be a dual purpose jeep?
And finally any other suggestions?

rosenb1995yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
YeepieJeepie
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Actually this is the one for the YJ:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/yj_87_95_swap.htm

Also peruse the www.advanceadapters.com site.

I decided to go with a GM engine for my swap. The engines are more common and the swap has been done many times so there's more info and parts available. I thought about the V6, but since it has only a slight HP advantage over the 4.0L for much more work. I decided to go with a V8 Vortec engine. 5.3L Vortecs are very common and Novak says your NV3550 should handle it. You'll need a bell housing adapter.

According to Novak: "GM engine swaps are almost invariably easier, more productive and more affordable than Dodge, Ford and other conversions. These companies make some great engines, but you have to pick your battles when doing a swap and going with a well supported, well documented, easily acquired and broadly familiar powertrain is a key to success and satisfaction."

I'm going with a 6.0L Vortec. I figure if I'm going to do this, I'm going all the way. But I'll have to swap out my transmission too, as well as the rear end.

Last edited by YeepieJeepie; 04-15-2009 at 09:48 AM..
YeepieJeepie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

OOPS! I gots too many of dem der pages bookmarked.

Sorry 'bout that.
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

FWIW,
I'm currnetly working on my swap. I picked up a 99 5.3L for $150 and am in the process of rebuilding it...well still working on cleaning up the heads right now.

For those that are planning on swapping an LS motor into their rig:
www.LS1tech.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.