Looking for good off road shifter for 4-speed automatic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Looking for good off road shifter for 4-speed automatic

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for good off road shifter for 4-speed automatic

Wondering if anyone has any pointers to shifters I could use with my 4L65. Ideally, I'd like a ratchet type shifter but with an easy ability to go from 1/2/3 directly to reverse. A friend mentioned this ability but did not have any references to an actual shifter. The use case example is heading up a climb and just starting to go over, would be nice to be able to just POP it into reverse and back out of there (real quick like). If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure that there is no way for a ratchet shifter to have that ability. The Art Carr/Winters 4 speed shifter has what they call a "rock gate" that will allow you to do just that. It is a gated type shifter though, not a ratchet one. I believe the B&M pro stick also has a similar capability, but it is also not a ratchet shifter. Ratchet shifters by definition can't skip any gears, you have to "ratchet" through them.
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Fred007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I misspoke when I said ratchet shifter, I was thinking of the one in my GTO. I looked up the Art Carr/Winters shifter and think it is exactly what I am looking for. They have the reverse rockgate for the 4L60E and I am going to give that a whirl. Should make the crawling and moving between 1-R a whole lot easier.

http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/97/Art-Carr-Winters-Shifter.aspx

Click on the "View Available Gate Patterns" to see the patterns.

Thanks again for the pointer!
Fred007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.