little help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > little help please

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 08-02-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
joejoejoe89

little help please

i have an Xj with the 2.5 4 banger....its about 10 years old with roughly 117000 miles on it and i figure its time for a tune up...is would it be any different than a 6 cyl...if so, how?

and what brands would you all recommend??
can i pick them up at a local auto parts store?
thanks all

and also...ive seen custom intakes for an XJ with a 6X9 K&N cone....im almost positive but im just double checking with you all if this would also work with the 4 banger. prolly a stupid question but better safe then sorry. thanks a bunch in advance cya

-joe-

Unread 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
joejoejoe89

come on guys pleaseeee
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
75SV1

As far as tune up, try and get cap and rotor with brass terminals. Stanard is a good brand. There are others. Spark plugs for a Jeep, Most say NGK or Champion Truck plugs. The Bosch Platinum don't usually show much improvement for the cost if any. But then again someone will say they work great in thier Jeep. I think the Bosch and other platinum plugs work as advertised with ignition systems that are weak, usually foriegn cars. In the older US cars I've had they made no difference. As far as spark plug wires some say Magnacore are the best, but expensive. I used Blue Max, a custom set I had to do the terminals and lengths for my 4.0. Just try and get something with spiral wound core and not a carbon core.
On the air filter, it might help out a bit. Usually with a K&N type setup you need to have it blocked of from the rest of the engine compartment to gain any advantage. On some cars your worst off with one with out the cold box. I think Jeeps are about even. Try this website for ideas:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.