List of Engines that could go in a YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > List of Engines that could go in a YJ

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 02-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #16
ILoveto4x4inNC

I have a question that goes along with this. What's the obsession with chevy and ford engines? Why not grab a 5.2 or 5.9 out of a ZJ or Dodge truck? Wouldn't these require a lot trouble to get to work? Just curious.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 02:46 AM   #17
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you really plan on doing this, I second the 5.0. In fact, I have a deal for you. An often overlooked car (Mercury Cougar) also has the 5.0. I have a '92 Cougar for sale(read my sig) with a 5.0L HO in it. I'm willing to sell it for $1,999, only problem is it's got a broken motor mount, which in your application isn't a problem. Engine runs excellent, tranny's like new. It's a 3 speed AOD. REALLY need to sell this so maybe we can make a deal?? Anyone?
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveto4x4inNC
I have a question that goes along with this. What's the obsession with chevy and ford engines? Why not grab a 5.2 or 5.9 out of a ZJ or Dodge truck? Wouldn't these require a lot trouble to get to work? Just curious.
The biggest reason is aftermarket support of the engines. A Chevy or Ford engine has lots of aftermarket support, headers, chips, heads, intakes, etc. The mopar line doesn't have as strong of an aftermarket support, so the prices to modify mopar engines are higher than doing the same changes to Chevy's or Ford's engines.

As far as the weight of the engine goes, the heavier the engine, the harder it is to balance the weight on the Jeep - but it can be done. The Ford's and Chevy's engines are light enough that stock or even aftermarket suspension can handle the little bit of extra weight difference over the weight of the stock 2.5 or 4.0 engines.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.